Skip to main content

A Few Minutes JUST for You

The kids are home under the most unusual of circumstances and although there are no after school practices or extracurricular activities to worry about, unexpected breaks from their regular routine bring about a unique set of challenges for families like ours.  

This is shaping up to be quite a stressful time for all of us. Folks crowding into grocery stores, helping the kids with homework, working from home, worrying about finances, our health, the health of others.  It can be a little crazy. 


With everything that's going on it's so important that you take care of your mind, body and spirit so you can take better care of your family.  


I've said it often there's power in just being able to soak in the bathtub for a few minutes.  Trust me, I cannot count the times I had to cut a bathroom visit short because one of my kids broke into tears once I was out of sight.  Or even worse a whining puppy scratching at the door. 


1.  Hot Refreshing Bath or shower

A 15-20 minute soak in a tub is just enough time to relax.  Add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil, bath oil or favorite bubble bath.  The steam is a natural decongestant and does wonders for the skin.  A hot bath can also help soothe muscles from a day of picking up toys and cleaning house.  

Think of it as an in home Spa Day.

2.  Indulge in a Book... one page at a time.
I'm an avid reader but finding time to indulge in a novel while the kids are on school break almost never happens.  I guess that's why I love daily devotionals.  Even when I don't have time to indulge in a full-fledged novel, I can always find a few moments to read 1 page a day. 

I recently received The Confident Woman Devotional by Joyce Meyer from my partners at Faith Words.  The devotional features a daily scripture, a brief reflection and a prayer which I can read in a couple of minutes but the message gives me a dose of inspiration for the day. 

  
There are lots of different daily devotionals to inspire you each and every day.  Here are a couple more of my favorite devotionals from Faith Words.

3.  Try an Aromatic Recipe
Wanna steal a few minutes away, start cooking.  There are days the kids love helping me in the kitchen or hubby makes dinner but most days, this fab mom is flying solo.  Cooking is a great time for me to enjoy a little time alone and the aromas from some recipes are so relaxing.  
I don't like apple pie but there's nothing like walking into a kitchen filled with the aromas of cinnamon and nutmeg.  

The recipe doesn't have to be complicated.  It can something as simple as my Orange Glazed Chicken Wings which are made using two ingredients. It tastes complicated but it's really simple and the aromatic flavors fill the kitchen and help me relax.

4.  Sing Out Loud
I sing a lot.  I think it's a family thing.  My cousin as a 2-year old and she often posts videos of her singing to her son.  Me? I'm not bold enough to broadcast my *cough-cough* singing ability to the world quite yet.  

I do enjoy making up songs and my kids are such a great audience.  When my nephew was a kid, I made up a song called "Going to the Movies" and it's so funny his kid knows the song.  A song I made up over 20 years ago.  Too funny.


Singing aloud is good for you too.  I like to think of it as a mini workout.  Did you know your breath patterns change while singing and your body releases endorphins when you sing? I wish I had more time to workout because exercise is such a powerful way to keep our mind, body and spirit healthy but there's never enough time in the day.


So stay in your car a few minutes longer and sing out loud to that song playing on the radio before heading home.  


5.  Write in a Journal

Remember when you first became a mom and you documented every single moment of your babies' life?  The first visit to the doctor.  The first day at daycare.  The first day of school.  Blah. Blah. Blah.  What about now? 

Take a few moments to write down some of those funny moments with your kid.  Think of it as a journal to your kids.  I've shared the story of two of my friends passing away earlier this year.  I know their kids have so many unanswered questions.  Fortunately one of my friends kept a diary to share.  Although the plan was to give to her grandchildren some day, it ended up being a source of peace for her kids. 


She wrote a couple of sentences a few times a week, sharing stories of each of the kids never anticipating the comfort it would give her kids once she was gone.  Her writings were her getaway from the insanity of the day.  A respite if you will.  


What about you?  


What are some ways you take care of yourself during this time?  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta