Skip to main content

Doug Unplugs Available Now on Apple TV+

Great TV happens when Dreamworks partners with Apple TV+

I am so excited to share with you that Doug Unplugs is premiering on Apple TV+.

Based on the critically acclaimed children’s book by Dan Yaccarino, DreamWorks “Doug Unplugs” follows a curious six-year-old robot, Doug, as he ‘plugs in’ to learn new facts about the world every day. Sensing there’s more to life than just the facts, Doug journeys into the human world in search of experience. And to do that, Doug has to…unplug. With the help of his best friend, a human ball of energy, Emma, the two discover all the simple wonders of the world. Join Doug as he learns about the intersection of technology and humanity, and how they both keep us truly connected! 

The series is ideal for preschoolers and early elementary kids.  Kids will enjoy the whimsical introduction of math and problem solving techniques with Doug and Emma. 

I had the opportunity to chat with Dan, the creative mind behind the series, about his inspiration for Doug Unplugs and working with such talented voice actors.

Me: What was your inspiration for creating Doug?

Dan: Ten years ago, when my 2 children were making their way through elementary school, I noticed that they were increasingly using online resources for information. This got me thinking about how much was at their fingertips, but also how much there was to understanding something through experience. We live in New York City, so there was a wealth of museums, libraries, and so many other ways they were able to fill in the rest of their understanding.

Online resources and digital technology are incredibly useful, but I feel that they should be used to inform and enhance our real-life experiences. I then knew I wanted to explore the idea of online vs experiential learning, but I wasn’t sure exactly how I’d do it. In 2010 I was on a flight from Los Angeles back to New York when I doodled a robot boy in my sketchbook and I knew at that moment I would hang the concept on him. He would be a robot, but with something extra: curiosity and the desire to experience life.

Me: I am familiar with the work of Eric Bauza from TMNT and a few other series and video game platforms. How did you get this legendary voice actor for this project?

Dan: We were very lucky! I believe that once he read the overall concept of the show and the role we wanted him to play, he agreed. The best experience you can have on a series is that the actors take the script and elevate the words to another level, beyond the voice you imagined inside your head of the line read. Eric, as well as all of the cast members, do that.

Me: What was your biggest challenge bringing Doug to life onscreen?

Dan: There are so many ways a concept like the robot/human world in Doug Unplugged could be interpreted. I created a pitch bible for translating the books into an animated series. DreamWorks and I worked on fleshing out the concept for a while, but then we brought on Jim Nolan, as our showrunner. He pulled the whole thing together beautifully and once we partnered with Apple, we staffed up and launched the production. I guess the challenge was hitting the ground running.

Check out the trailer for Doug Unplugs
Click here to view the trailer and be sure to check out Doug Unplugs on Apple TV+

What TV series does your child enjoy watching?

Comments

Sarah Bailey said…
Aww this sounds like such a lovely show for kids, it is great it is on Apple TV as well - so accessible for people!
AiringMyLaundry said…
I hadn't heard of this show before. It sounds like a cute one for kids!
Heather D said…
This looks adorable. If my kids were younger we'd be watching.
Simply Tasheena said…
Thanks so much for sharing. This would be perfect for my nieces and nephews.
Heather said…
This sounds like such a cute show. I will have to share it with my neighbor with young children.
I've never heard of this show before. It sounds really cute!
Bri said…
I've never seen this one before! I'll check it out! My daughter is on a Peppa Pig kick. She is the only Ohio kid with an English accent now lol!
Nikki Wayne said…
The characters are so cute. And it seems so educational.
Crystal Carder said…
I am a sucker for kids shows. I don't have Apple TV, but may have to look for a way for my kids to watch this!
I have never heard of this show. My kids are older now but it looks perfect for my grandson. We love any educational cartoon we can add to our viewing collection!
Terri Steffes said…
How sweet does this sound? I would love to watch it myself. I am glad for a family friendly cartoon!
Kathy said…
This sounds like such a cute show. I'll have to see if my daughters would like to watch it. I'm sure they'd love it.
StarTraci said…
I love this concept and I am so impressed by how well it all came together.
Beth said…
This looks like a cute show! I love the concept and hope it will be helpful in encouraging children and parents to unplug.
Kita Bryant said…
My nieces would love this. They are all about the cute shows.
Gust si Aroma said…
I love to organize a family movie night once in a while! This would be perfect for us!

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta