Skip to main content

Coronavirus Chronicles: Exploring State Parks

Looking for an inexpensive family getaway?  Then a visit to a nearby state park may be the perfect getaway.  Visiting a state park is a great way to explore the rich vastness of landscape and history in your state and contribute to your state's economy.  

Recently, my family and I visited Petit Jean State Park.  It's one of our favorite state parks.  The kids love the legend of Petit Jean.  Legend has it that a young girl was so in love that she disguised herself as a cabin boy so she could join her lover.  She was known as "Petit Jean" (French for Little John) due to her small stature.  She became sick during the travels and it was only then that her true identity was discovered.  Her illness got worse and she eventually died and was buried atop Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas


Besides the legend of Petit Jean the park is absolutely stunning with its cascading waterfalls, cliff side trails and native scenery.   The park is home to Cedar Falls, a 95-foot waterfall and several overlooks of the Arkansas River Valley.  There are plenty of trails and it's easy to practice social distancing.  Petit Jean offers eight (8) trails of various difficulties and distances.  

There are also several overlooks including the Petit Jean at Stout's Point.  Each offering a unique view of the majestic Arkansas River and other hidden treasures such as waterfalls, caverns and see wildlife in its natural habitat.  Be sure to check the signs and be careful.  Some of the trails closer to the river can be a tad slippery. 

If you're interested in spending the night there are several lodging options including a hotel-esque lodge, spacious cabins with all the necessities and the cabins offer the most stunning views of the valley below. The backyard views from the cabins are worth the trip alone.  

If you have a tent or an RV, there are plenty of campsites located near the river for fishing, a park for the kiddos, tennis courts and onsite swimming pool.  

They even have yurts.  Although I have yet to convince my family into staying in a yurt, an overnight stay in one of the yurts at Petit Jean State Park is definitely on my travel bucket list.  Each yurt comes with bunk beds, a stove, canoe, and even a hammock. 



We love exploring state parks.  

Be sure to call ahead or visit the website for the state park before your visit to find out what restrictions are in place. 

State parks are a wonderful way to explore your region and many are located less than a tankful of gas from your home.  So get up, get out and explore but remember to stay safe. 

Comments

Janeane M Davis said…
It is nice to read about wide open spaces people can travel to in the age of Corona and be able to socially distance from other people.
Kathy said…
I love checking out state parks as well. It can be so enjoyable, especially when the family goes together. A great way to keep more distance from others too.
Bri said…
Exploring the great outdoors has been the biggest help with getting through this year!
Nikki Wayne said…
The legend makes it more interesting. Looks like a very peaceful place.
Sandy N Vyjay said…
Petit Jean Park seems amazing with stunning landscape. Seems to be a great place to experience raw nature.
Rose Ann Sales said…
So beautiful,thanks for sharing pics. This makes me look forward to traveling more again
monicazyoung said…
The state parks are beautiful and we love visiting, sometimes we go camping and sometimes we just go for a day visit
Gust si Aroma said…
This is heaven! I would like to have a long long vacation in a place like this!
Swathi said…
State parks are beautiful always. It has been a while we visited state parks. May after this we will travel
Anosa Malanga said…
I really love traveling, well a lot of people do. This year is very much different from the past years and yeah, traveling was restricted. Parks were some of the substitutes since we are hindered to go on vacations.
I wanted to go on an adventure last summer but I just didn’t have it in my budget. I’ll have to check out some of the state parks before summertime so we can go on a weekend adventure or something. I love the outdoors.

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta