Skip to main content

Granny's Easy Banana Bread with a Rum Twist

Quarantine baking is the latest craze.  Cookies, cakes, pies, casseroles and breads are coming out of ovens everywhere.

I have gotten bit by the baking bug too.  I'm hooked on cakes and breads and getting the kids in on the action too.  We still have a sourdough starter that a friend gave me right before our staff starting working from home.  Three months in and Susie Sourdough - yes, we named it - is still in the fridge and we feed it weekly.  

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of people baking banana bread. Bananas are always on our grocery list.  Hubby snacks on frosted corn flakes and bananas pretty much every night before bedtime.  How he manages to stomach milk after 7 pm boggles my mind, but that's a story for another day. Let's talk about the difference between him ordering bananas from the grocery store and me ordering bananas from the grocery store.  When HE orders them he orders a lot.  Me, I typically order a bunch of about 5 or 6 bananas.  I hate when bananas go bad and it never fails when HE orders them I'm left to figure out a recipe to save our hard earned grocery money.  

So, last week I looked at the banana tree and there were 3 sad looking bananas.  Covered in black and brown spots, mushy in spots just begging to be used.  None of the kids wanted a smoothie.  They were too ripe for banana pancakes and there was no room in the freezer so what to do... what to do.
BANANA BREAD

I remember I had a recipe for banana nut bread that my great grandma had given me.  It was one of her pantry staple recipes.   You know the recipe that you can make because you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry?  Yeah, one of those.

✓ Flour
✓ Sugar
✓ Baking soda
✓ Bananas
X Nuts - oh nuts, I didn't have any nuts in the pantry.  Oh well, banana bread it is.

The recipe is simple and it's kid friendly.  I remember my great grandma letting my sister and I smash the bananas, measure the dry ingredients, stir and pour.  My great grandma lived in West Virginia and each winter she would come stay with us.  She baked everything from scratch.  I never saw her open a single box.  She made magic with flour, sugar and baking soda and I'm so glad she shared some of her recipes with me before she passed away.

The recipe is really simple and like my granny always said you;ve probably got most of the ingredients in your pantry..

Ingredients
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup melted butter (I use unsalted butter)
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350℃
  2. In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork
  3. Gently stir in all other ingredients and mix well
  4. Pour into loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until edges pull from corners of your loaf pan
  5. Let cool 10-15 minutes before slicing
*now for the rum twist*
Heat 1/8 cup rum and 1 tsp. butter in a saucepan until butter melts.  Stir.  If you don't want to heat in a sauce pan, you can use a microwavable bowl and use your microwave.  Just be sure to stir the rum and melted butter. 

Use a fork to poke small holes all over the top of the banana bread and drizzle the rum butter on top of the fresh baked banana bread.
Do you bake?  
What family recipes have been passed down to you from a loved one?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello, do you guys have another blogspot that has the DVD collections of Dora the Explorer & Go, Diego, Go!?
Jeffrey said…
I cant wait to learn much more from you. This is actually a great site.
McKenzie said…
It's a very helpful section of information. We're happy that you discussed this
Benjamin said…
Impressive website. Numerous helpful tips in this article. Excellent activity!
Carpenter said…
Just wish to say your article is as astonishing. Please continue the gratifying work.
Hamilton said…
Pretty section of content. You can definitely see your skills in the paintings you write

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta