Skip to main content

6 Simple Tips to Minimize Stress

 2020 is shaping up to be the craziest year ever.  A lot of us had to jump into homeschooling quick, fast and in a hurry.  Transitioning from long days at the office to setting up a home office.  Learning creative ways to keeps the kids occupied as we took those conference calls.  I was doing just fine and until the day my brother started working from home and I immediately became the family Tech Wizard.

I can laugh about it now but trust me helping someone set up a desktop computer and modem over the phone is definitely a test of patience. Trust me.

The year has us rethinking some things, changing a few things and tweaking our daily routines but overall we're doing okay despite the fact that our Spring Break vacation was cancelled, our Summer vacation plans tossed and looks like our Fall travel plans are in jeopardy as well.  2020 is definitely teaching me that I am stronger than I ever knew I was.  A positive attitude is one of the things that is helping me cope with the daily challenges this year keeps presenting.  

I am so happy to share some of the tips that keep me smiling beneath my mask.

1 Communicate with Others 

As I mentioned earlier, I helped my brother set up his desktop over the phone but wait there's more.  Before we could set up the computer, we had to set up his new phone.  He was moving from the 1st android ever made to an  iPhone and opted not to have them set it up at the store saying "I'll just have my sister help me".  O to the M to the G.  After I set up his phone, we spoke via FaceTime to help set up his computer. It was his first time using FaceTime and well, if you've ever seen those tear jerk videos of a person seeing a loved one on their phone for the first time, it was all that. Now that his phone and computer are all set up we can visit via Zoom, Skype, and Facetime. 

On Sunday afternoons, my mom, my sis, my brother and I meet virtually for a family chat.  My brother lives quite a distance away so he really enjoys getting weekly updates on the antics of his nieces and nephews.  

The funniest is when my grandma makes a cameo.  

If a family chat isn't your thing then maybe organize a Zoom call with some of your friends and invite everyone to have a glass of their favorite wine or bottled water and share some laughs and virtual hugs.

Keeping in touch is definitely us cope with the feelings of alienation not being able to see our family and friends.


2 Exercise

Show of hands, who's gained the Quarantine Ten?  You know the 10 lbs. that comes from baking all that bread while cooped up in your home.  Not I.  Thanks to our rescue pup, Mr. Bentley.  Bentley is a burst of energy and if we're not taking our daily walk, we're chasing him as he heads out the door with our stuff.  It's kinda like that dog in the commercial who keeps bringing stuff inside the house that he found outside.  Oh the times I've had to chase him as he headed into the backyard with stuff from the house.  Like the time he sprinted towards the door carrying one of my shoes.  I knew I had to beat him to the door if there was any hope of finding that shoe again.  I won THAT time. Now the time he raced outside with my bra. OMG!  Yeah, that wasn't fun at all... not at all. 

That's counts as exercise.  I log EVERY SINGLE ONE of those steps in. In all seriousness, it's important to get some exercise and get that heart muscle pumping.  Take a walk around your neighborhood and if that's not your thing maybe break out the Wii or the Kinect and pop in a video game.  I am learning Zumba and tightening up my dance skills courtesy of video games and we even have this virtual hula hoop game.  I haven't hula hooped in ages.  This game is so much fun and it definitely gets my heart pumping.

Besides exercise, Bentley is also responsible for me getting more fresh air, which just happens to be #3 on our list.  

3 Fresh Air

After months of being cooped up in our homes, we are anxious to get outside but it's important to practice social distancing.  I was a little heartbroken when we saw caution tape wrapped around the playground equipment at the local park.  Since we can't play on the equipment, we started discovering our local park.  The kids love taking pictures using our phones and sometimes we even print some of them out.  

Our latest love is mushrooms a remnant of summer storms that pop up out of nowhere along our path.  We can identify a couple of the mushrooms we've discovered but there are so many different colors and shapes and we're having fun searching for mushrooms.

I admit I'm a little envious of those who've thrown caution to the wind and are just living their lives mask free and all.  I'm all about wearing a mask to protect myself and those I encounter.  If you've ever seen a toddler sneeze in a car on a sunny day you can relate.  All those little icky snotty particles flying about.  Gross... just gross.  Sorry for straying there but you get the point, mask on and get outside and soak up some Vitamin D.  Be sure to pack hand sanitizer and practice social distancing. 


4 Prayer and Meditation

I miss gathering on Sundays with our church family but at this time our congregation has decided it is not worth the risk for us to meet in our sanctuary so we're meeting via conference calls, Facebook Live and Zoom.  It's challenging but it's good to hear familiar voices and an uplifting word from our pastor.  I think we get so caught up in the routine of waking up and getting dressed for worship services that this season is definitely teaching us that we can worship anywhere.

After hearing a mentor of mine passed away from the virus I was so sad and really wish I could just pray at the altar.  It's a place of solace for me but church doors are closed so I reminded myself that my Lord is omnipresent even amidst these troubling times. I can pray anytime, anywhere and any place.  

I participate in weekly worship service and prayer calls and I study my scriptures and read books of faith.  Currently, I'm reading Planted with a Purpose:  God Turns Pressure into Power by T.D. Jakes.  Thanks to my friends at FaithWords I received this book for review and the timing was right on time.  The 116-page, pocket-sized book is a quick read for a time such as this.  One of my favorite chapters is titled "When Trouble Comes."  Shouting folks you oughta shout right there.  

When troubles come we are so quick to bend and become disheartened.  However, it is in THESE times which our faith sustains us.  Jakes reminds us of the tools of the enemy to keep us feeling sad and blue when we know fear is not of God and He states it plainly in Jeremiah 29:11 that His plans are for us to prosper and not harm us but plans to give us hope and a future.  We. Will. Get. Through. This. 


5 Relax

Which brings me to my next point. Relax.  These are unprecedented times and we've never seen anything like what is going on in our world today. People's patience is being tested and we are quick to anger.  Constant media streams showing disruption and chaos all over the land.  We could all use a timeout.  Seriously, what if we simply counted to 10 before reacting.  Those few seconds could make all the difference.

For some relaxation means visiting your nail shop for a mani and a pedi for others, it may simply be streaming a movie, taking a long, hot bubble bath or a sharing a glass of wine with your friends online.  

For me it's baking.  My Quarantine Baking skills are fierce.  Something about delicious aromas filling up my kitchen always seems to make my family smile.  

I've mastered two-ingredient breads, rum cakes, pineapple upside down cake, homemade brownies, and of course the staples of quarantine baking - sourdough and banana bread.  

Find something to keep your blood pressure down, just take a few seconds, catch your breath and relax.

This last tip is one of my favorites.  It's probably the first time you've heard of this as a tip to help minimize stress.  *drumroll please*

Finishing the list of 6 simple tips to minimize stress is...

6 Talk to Yourself

You know that saying "It's okay to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer."  Welp, 2020 has definitely taught me that's nonsense.  I talk to myself daily.  I speak words of encouragement over myself.  I speak health.  I speak prosperity.  

First thing in the morning, I go to the bathroom,  look in the bathroom mirror and me and me have a conversation about how good my skin is looking and make a promise to conquer whatever the day brings.  My daily conversations with myself are keeping me motivated, focused and stress free.  

Viewers of the HBO series "Insecure" are familiar with the virtues of talking to oneself.  The lead character Issa talks to herself every episode.  It's pure comedy at its finest.  

Plus, psychological studies show there are benefits of talking to yourself.  Google it. I know it helps me plan and actually gives me some clarity.  

So there you have it, six simple tips to minimize stress and while you're at check out Planted With a Purpose: God Turns Pressure Into Power by TD Jakes.  The book is sold wherever FaithWords books are sold including several online retailers.  Click on the picture below to read an excerpt of this inspirational book. 

What are some ways you kept your stress to a minimum during these days?

Comments

Anna said…
These are unbelievable!! I guess you know what I want from you! Trouble is, I just don't know which one I like best! I need these photos and travel by car soon
Claudia said…
I absolutely love these tips. 2020 had me stressed to the max, and unfortunately the beginning of 2021 hasn't been much better. I need to reduce my stress level.
Anosa Malanga said…
Couldn't agree more with your list! Yoga is one way for me to be able to relax and destress and it's also one of my exercises. This year, I learned to slow down and take care of myself. Still, grateful even though things happened that way we did not expect to happen last 2020. Looking forward to a better year. Happy New Year!
Bri said…
Couldn't agree more! Exercise and communication are key for me! I get a lot of anxiety if I don't workout every day. I am working on communication too because I do tend to have that "woman thing" where I think people should be able to read my mind...
Gervin Khan said…
These are definitely great tips most especially today that we are now facing a new challenge against the new variant of Covid19. Prayer and meditation really help a lot.
Chef Dennis said…
I totally agree with these tips! I've been doing these and stress never had the chance to take over my life.
Nikki Wayne said…
Glad you mentioned about talking to one's self. I also do this in the bathroom mirror.
Rose Ann Sales said…
I love having morning walks too. Fresh air and a little exercise every morning brings me good vibes all through the day
Sandy N Vyjay said…
A positive attitude helps beat stress, these are great tips for beating stress, Yoga and meditation are best.
Janeane M Davis said…
These are great ideas for dealing with stress. What I like most about them is that they are things most people can do at almost any tie.
Mama Maggie's Kitchen said…
Oh I hate stress! But stress is always around us. These tips are really helpful. I will keep them in mind.
Swathi said…
With Pandemic, it is really difficult to stay without stress. Thanks for sharing the tips. I need that.

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta