Skip to main content

Truth Moment: Mammograms

I couldn’t let the year go by without sharing at least one post about breast cancer. I’ve always been pretty vocal when it comes to encouraging loved ones to get their annual mammogram. Let’s be honest mammograms can be uncomfortable but truth is they don’t hurt. So when I stood crying uncontrollably at my recent mammogram, shortly after the tech snapped the first image and the plates lifted form my smushed breast, the tech assumed I was in physical pain. However, my tears were for my dearest friend who lost her battle with breast cancer.

Let’s be clear mammograms saves lives. Early detection saves lives. I know a young lady who had gained health insurance thanks to the Affordable Care Act. She had gone for several months without health insurance due to a job loss. She worked full time but couldn’t afford the health insurance plan offered by her job. Her kids were covered by Medicaid but she didn’t have insurance and didn’t worry for she thought she was, for the most part, in pretty good health. Her healthcare was limited to visits to the E.R. when she felt really, really bad.

One day while at a health fair, she signed up to get a mammogram. It was her first. A couple of days later, she received a phone call that would change her life forever… she had breast cancer. Early detection saved her life.

This is the story I hear most often. A mammogram saved someone’s life. Yet even still according to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. 1 in 8. My best friend’s mom passed away from breast cancer just shy of her 50th birthday. I even know of friends of friends who lost their battle with breast cancer. My friend’s mom was the only person I’d ever known to die from breast cancer. Everyone I knew was a breast cancer SURVIVOR.
That all changed one day in June 2018. Just shy of her 50th birthday, only a few weeks after hearing her diagnosis, my best friend passed away. Around the age her mom was when she died.
Standing there gripping the machine as it snapped pics I was overcome with grief thinking of my beloved childhood friend. I miss her so much.

The Affordable Care Act requires plans to offer mammograms as a preventive care benefits with no cost sharing to beneficiaries. If you do not have insurance, consider signing up for a plan at www.healthcare.gov or contact your local health department to see if free mammogram services are available.

Mammograms STILL save lives. A mammogram didn’t save my friend but it may save your friend’s life… it may save yours.

Comments

Play bazaar said…
play bazaar satta king can be difficult for any woman. As time passes, there is more advice that becomes available. The following article has tips that may help to make pregnancy go as smoothly as possible.
Managing your time wisely is critical to the success of your network marketing business. While reading blogs about internet marketing is interesting, you could have used that time to promote your own product with your own blog. Be persistent in calling your down-lines to get them motivated, but cut your losses if they haven't responded by the fourth call, and put your energy to use in more productive endeavors. Training calls and conferences are great, but they don't create prospects for you. Neither does training agents for other team members. Avoid companies with an all-for-one, one-for-all attitude. You're in business to make money for yourself, not other network marketers. Satta King Proven Network Marketing Strategies To Help You Play Bazaar

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta