Skip to main content

5 Ways to Teach Your Kids to Be Kind


Are you teaching your kid to be kind?

When one of my sons was in the 1st grade he had a speech deficit and there was this one kid that teased him.  For whatever reason this little kid had it out for my kid.  Fortunately, things worked out and the two became friends by the end of the school year.  

Here are some proven ways to teach your kids to be kind to others.
1. Lead by example  
Practice RAOK in front of your children. Children imitate what they see us do and what better way to teach kindness than to practice kindness.  

2. Donate old toys, books and clothes
Each year we have the kids gather old toys and clothes they've outgrown and they get to choose a local charity and make a donation.  One year we donated their old bikes to a local charity that re-purposes bikes and re-gifts to children during Christmas.  This year the kids are old enough to volunteer to help the charity prep bikes and we are looking forward to helping out.
Photo by Hello I'm Nik on Unsplash
3. Send thank you notes
Handwritten thank you notes are a great way to spread kindness.  My grandma loves getting handwritten cards from the kids thanking them for gifts she sends.  Penning thank you cards is also a great way for kids to get in a little extra handwriting practice.

4. Help around the house
Chores help kids learn the value of working together.  Many hands make light work and getting the kids involved in cleaning up is a great way for them to learn to work with others. Maybe have your kid hold the dustpan while you sweep or help sort laundry.  Team work makes the dream work.
Photo by The Creative Exchange on Unsplash
5. Volunteer
Volunteering is a great way to teach kids the importance of serving others. Buy a few boxes of cereal to donate to the local food pantry or sign up to ring the bell for the Salvation Army or visit with residents of the local nursing home.  Each year the youth of our church sing Christmas carols.  Although we typically schedule an hour or two, we usually end up staying a little longer as it's always so much fun.

You can even visit your local library to check out books on kindness like Henry Is Kind   by Lynda Ryden.  Our friends at Cadence Book Group sent us a copy of Ryden's book to review.  Henry Is Kind is a great way to introduce and reinforce the importance of being kind.
Henry is Kind (9/2018; Hardcover $16.95; ISBN: 978-0884486619; Grades K-5; 32 pages), a classroom-tested resource for social and emotional learning.

Henry’s discovery of the many ways he can be kind will inspire young readers to use the simple mindfulness practices taught in this book to develop their own capacities for kindness.

Ms. Snowden and her class practice sending kind thoughts to the people they love, and they launch a class Kindness Project. There is only one problem: Henry can’t think of one kind thing he has done. Declaring that kindness is stupid, he stomps to the classroom door on the verge of tears, but his classmates save the day by reminding him of the kind things he has done for each of them.

What are some ways you help teach your kids to be kind?

Comments

You will save water as well, as it won't take as long for the water to heat up.Satta king Satta Bazaar
satta king satta bazaar
Play bazaar said…
Make sure this is discussed before you sign up for any insurance policy.play bazaar satta king
You need a lot of confidence in what you're doing if you're hoping to operate a successful online business. One of the best ways to gain that confidence is to become well informed. Information ensures that you're always making the best decision and this will lead to a confident, lucrative approach. Check out this informative article on network marketing. Satta King Proven Network Marketing Strategies To Help You Play Bazaar

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta