Skip to main content

Searching for Emmett... The River Site

My visit to the Emmett Till Interpretive Center was informative but I knew there was more to the story.  It was if I was being led somewhere else.

Peering through the large storefront glass of the Emmett Till Interpretive Center staring at the courthouse I noticed a large statue to the left. 

I don't think I've ever noticed a confederate statue before. I'm sure I've seen them before but I don't think I ever really noticed one before.  There it was, standing tall, and the courthouse staring directly at the Emmett Till Interpretive Center and the Emmett Till Interpretive Center staring right back.
The exhibits housed in the Interpretive Center told the story of the trial and the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement.  The Sumner Courthouse where Till's accusers were tried still holds court. 

The bullet-riddled River Site sign sat on a cold, concrete floor.  Benjamin told us the sign had been replaced and gave us directions to the site.  

"Benjamin", I asked, "is the barn still up?"

I'd read an article that said the barn where Till was tortured was still standing.  

The barn where Till was tortured was STILL standing.

Benjamin hesitated for a moment and said "Yes ma'am."
That's where I needed to go.  I needed to see that barn but first the River Site.

My cousin and I piled back in the car and synched my phone to the car's bluetooth so we could hear the directions.

We came upon a sign that said "Emmett Till Park".  
It was just a small playground near a low income apartment complex.  Clearly not what we were looking for.

We circled back and came upon another purple sign: King's Place.  This was the first time I had heard of King's Place.  This location is pivotal in the story of Emmett Till's death. First and foremost, names of supposed witnesses and the reporter who uncovered those individuals... James Hicks.
James Hicks.  That name sounded familiar.  Hicks was one of the reporters who covered the Little Rock Nine, James Meredith's Ole Miss enrollment and other stories tied to the Civil Rights Movement.

The marker read "Adjacent to this site was the store of J.W. Milam, one of Till's murderers."

We drove a little bit further and came upon a garden and yet another purple sign: Glendora Gin
The old gin still stands.  The gin where his killers grabbed a large fan and used it to weigh Till's body down in the river.
The site of such hatred now houses the Emmett Till Historic Intrepid Center.  A place  dedicated to telling the story of Till.
My cousin and I arrived shortly after the Center closed.  Since we had driven so far we didn't want to miss the opportunity to connect with someone from the Center who could direct us to the River Site.  We knew we were near but there were no street signs to direct us along the way and truth is we were lost and losing daylight.

In front of the Center was a small house and a garden.  We didn't see any cars but clearly this garden was being tended to.  It was full of squash, tomatoes, lettuce.  Someone lived there and they would know what we were seeking. 
 I knocked on the door.  No answer.

I knocked again.  I could see a shadow emerging inside the house.  An older Black woman answered the door.  Her husband ran the center.  "He's not here" she told us.

We asked her about the River Site and she said it's just cross the bridge.  As I glanced toward the garden I saw a butterfly and an old pickup truck coming up the driveway.
It was her husband, Mr. Thomas.  He spoke with such enthusiasm about the town he grew up in and how his father once worked on Milam's farm.  Mr. Thomas' mother worked at the King Place juke joint and his father, Henry Lee Loggins, was a farmhand at Milam's farm which stood right next to the gin.

As we looked to our left, there stood another large purple marker marking Milam's house.  

The house was long gone but the marker told a story neither myself nor my cousin had ever heard before.  Milam and Bryant forced black employees - more than likely those farmhands - to wash his bloody truck, the same truck he had used to carry Till's body to the dump in the river.  They burned Till's clothes in the backyard just steps away from the garden.

We could have sat and listened to Mr. Thomas for hours but the day was coming to an end and we had yet to reach the River Site.

Mr. Thomas pointed us to the River Site and told us how to get there.  

I've crossed the Tallahatchie Bridge several times in my journeys in the South but this time felt different.  It was as if my soul was being led somewhere.
Just cross the bridge and make the 1st right down a dirt road.  

A pickup truck followed closely as we approached the bridge and tailed us across the bridge.  Just as we were supposed to turn, he flashed his lights and sped quickly passing  us.  I got scared and purposely drove past the dirt road into a nearby driveway.  

As he passed I saw that he was an older Black man and the fear that gripped me earlier lifted somewhat. In hindsight, I wonder if he was trying to let me know my turn was coming up.
We circled back and made the trek over the muddy, bumpy terrain with just the bumps of the road breaking the awkward silence.  There were moments I just wanted to stop and turn around but I couldn't.  I had to see it for myself.

There must have been a lot of hate to drive this far to hide your crime.

We kept driving...

and kept driving until finally we came upon the River Site sign.  There it was as if the heavens had led us there.  
This was the "new" sign and it was already shot up.  The grass was high and kudzu and moss covered the trees.  Mosquitoes and dragonflies buzzed by while crickets chirped.  There was a deafening silence but nature seemed to scream.
I was paralyzed and couldn't step out of the car.  My cousin wiped her tears and stepped out to snap a few pics.  

Her son is 14.  "I cannot imagine anything a child could do to make someone want to kill them" wiping tears from her cheeks.

This ground was sacred.  I could feel the blood cry out.  It was screaming.  Screaming thru the injustice... the hate... screaming to tell us more.  

There's more.  The story I grew up hearing wasn't what was unfolding before my eyes.  I needed to talk to Mr. Thomas one more time.

"Mr. Thomas", I asked.  "The barn.  Is is true that the barn still stands?"

"Yes ma'am."

"How do we get there?"

From the River to the Barn





Comments

Though you may not be ready to convert your entire home to a more energy efficient power source,satta king satta Bazaar

satta king satta Bazaar

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta