Skip to main content

A Visit to Elvis' Birthplace in Tupelo, Mississippi

Graceland is a mecca for Elvis fans like my sister.  Ticket sales from Graceland are the primary reason Elvis ranks high on the list of top earning celebrities who've passed.  I think Michael is the only celebrity who outranks Elvis' earnings.  

A few blocks from Graceland on a quiet street in Memphis sits a small 4-bedroom, 2-bath ranch style home.  Elvis bought the home in 1956 when he was just 22 years old.  I surprised my sister with a visit to his home on Audobon Street a few years ago.  She was so surprised as she'd only visited Graceland and had no idea about this lesser known Elvis Must See. 


This year, we added another notch on our Elvis Sites with a stop in Tupelo, Mississippi to visit Elvis' birthplace.

Elvis' father, grandfather and uncle built the small, two room house where Elvis and his twin brother were born.  

The Elvis Birthplace features a replica of the home, the family's church and even a car like that his parents owned. 
Elvis and his family lived in the house for about 3 years before the family fell on hard times and were unable to pay the mortgage.

The house reminds me of my grandma's house in Kentucky down to the little wooden swing on the front porch. 
I have so many fond memories of sitting on that porch swing.  I remember long talks with my grandma waving at her neighbors as they passed by.

I remember swinging like crazy when the grown ups weren't watching until one would yell out "Stop swingin' in that swing like that."

My favorite memory is of that one time just before my grandma passed.  My cousin and I drove up to visit my grandma and brought the kiddos with us.  The twins had so much fun swinging on the swing and my grandma would take turns swinging them to sleep.  
I imagine Elvis' mom and grandma swinging with him in that swing.  Something about a porch swing.  

My sis just HAD to sit in the swing.  "Take my picture."  "Take my picture."  She just had to have her picture taken.  

You should've heard her as she imagined Elvis as a little baby swinging back and forth in the swing.
There are several historical markers around the site.  Each marking a special time in the life of the famed entertainer. 
One of our favorites was the path of stones marking various times in his life.  

There are markers commemorating the births of Elvis and his twin brother, Jessie. 
The grounds are beautiful and a wonderful place to reflect on a place that played an important role in the lives of Elvis and music lovers everywhere.
If you're ever just outside of Memphis and looking for a place to stretch out be sure to check out the Elvis Birthplace.  

You can walk around the property for free and check out the gift shop or take in the Grand Tour.

Grand Tour includes a tour of the house, museum and the church and kids under 7 get in free and admission for children and adults is $8 and $18 respectively. 

Visit www.elvispresleybirthplace.com for more info and be sure to check out more pics from our visit on @3Boys_OldLady on Instagram.

Have you visited the Elvis Presley Birthplace?  

Have you ever visited Graceland?

What are some of your favorite music themed places to visit?   

Comments

Masshole Mommy said…
I got married by Elvis (in Vegas), so I would love to visit his birth place someday. Graceland, too!
Alli Smith said…
I've never visited Graceland or where Elvis was born. Looks like fun! I do have fond memories of a front porch swing and just sitting on the front porch in general at my grandma's house.
candy said…
What a cool place to visit. Everyone knows Elvis and what great music he made. Be cool to see where he lived
AiringMyLaundry said…
This would be fun to visit. I've always been a fan of Elvis. My kids know about him as well and like a lot of his music.
britstrawbridge said…
I would love to visit Graceland one day! What an experience! I'm sure you had a wonderful time!
I've never been to Graceland, actually never to Tennessee or Mississippi. My Mom loved Elvis and would enjoy seeing it.
Sarah Bailey said…
This sounds like an amazing place to go and visit for anyone who love Elvis, definitely somewhere different from the normal places people choose when visiting Elvis sites.
SimplyTasheena said…
This looks like a pretty amazing place to visit. Especially with the family. I’ve never visited Graceland however, I would love to visit one day.
shabbyfufu said…
Definitely lots of Elvis fans still around and this looks like a great place to visit. I'll be sharing this with my friend who has a second home close by there.
Farrah Less said…
Last year we went to his Mansion here in Graceland. We go on a tour and we love it. I bet the one in Mississippi is nice too.
I've never gotten into Elvis's music but just how pervasive the fascination with Elvis has gone into our pop culture in the last half century is truly amazing. Looks like a wonderful place to visit.
Glam Karen said…
It definitely sounds like a great place to go to. You don't have to be a fan of Elvis to appreciate this. I think it's also a nice way to get to know him!
Bonnie G said…
Wow! This is so cool. I swear I was just talking to my husband the other day about Elvis.
ricci said…
I have been to Graceland but never to Tupelo before! I need to check that out!!
Amy said…
I've never been to Graceland before. It wasn't until recently that I learned that he had a Twin brother. It must have been a very amazing trip visiting his birthplace.
Vyjay Rao said…
So nice to be able to see the birthplace of Elvis. The little swing in the porch reminded me of a swing that we had in our parent's house which has fond memories to this day.
Unknown said…
I would love to visit the Elvis birthplace. I am a huge Elvis fan. Not quite as much as j’s Mom did when she was alive but...

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta