Skip to main content

A Quick Pit stop at the B.B. King Museum

A couple hours drive from Memphis, you'll find Indianola, Mississippi, the birthplace of legendary Blues guitarist, B.B. King.  King died in May 2015 and the museum opened in 2008.  

The building is on old cotton gin where King used to work as a kid.  The cotton gin has been restored and is now a building rich in music history.

Inside are lots of interactive exhibits showcasing the legendary guitarist.  Your visit begins with a film documenting the life of King and an exhibit hall detailing events in the life of B.B. King from his time in the Mississippi Delta juke joints to his career in Memphis and beyond.
 The grounds of the property are full of treasures paying homage to King and the music he loved.  Near the entrance is a guitar - a tribute to King's beloved Lucille.   
 Also, a series of bronze poles emblazoned with song titles and the guitar notes of those songs.
 B.B. King's grave is at the far end of the museum's grounds in an area dubbed the B.B. King Memorial Courtyard. 
 A massive black granite slab inscribed with lyrics from B.B. King's song "Take It Home" sits in the courtyard.
"Don't know why / I was made to wander / I've seen the light, Lord / I've felt the thunder. / Someday I'll go home again / And I know they'll take me in. / And take it home."
We really enjoyed visit the B.B. King Museum and learned so much about the beloved musician. 

After all that walking we had worked up quite an appetite.  I could smell some good ol' soul food but I just couldn't tell where it was coming from.  There was a barbecue spot about a block away but I wasn't smelling barbecue.

Then I saw an older lady walking with a styrofoam container and asked where she got her food from.  

"Betty's Place" she replied and quickly got in her car.

A couple of blocks from the museum stood a small restaurant called "Betty's Place".
The restaurant was filled with a group of ladies, I'm guessing locals, seated at a table and a constant flurry of traffic from people picking up call in orders.  

Our waitress, one of Miss Betty's grandchildren, seated us and we perused the menu. 

So many options but my mom settled for the fried catfish and I opted for the BBQ ribs with two sides.  Each dinner came with a couple of slices of white sandwich bread.  

I chose the cole slaw and broccoli cheese sides with my BBQ dinner.  The 4 ribs were drenched in a sweet tangy sauce with a hint of pepper.  The sauce was thin but very flavorful.  
My mom opted for the fried okra and a side salad with bleu cheese salad dressing.  The fish arrived piping hot and it was enough fish on that plate for 2.  She ended up having to pack a to go box as it was so much food.
I always order water when I go out to eat.  I was tempted to order the tea / lemonade blend called Muddy Water.  We call it "Arnold Palmer" or "Southern Blend" but don't you just love that homage to the blues?
We were so full and even though the "Carmel Cake" looked tempting we just couldn't eat another bite. 

I plan to visit the region again over the summer and take my family to the B.B. King Museum and maybe just maybe we'll stop at Miss Betty's and I'll have that Muddy Water.
Have you ever visited the B.B. King Museum?  When was the last time you and your family visited a museum?

Comments

Masshole Mommy said…
I looooooove BB King, so I would be thrilled if I had the chance to go to this museum. I didn't even realize he had a museum, so thanks for the heads up on this.
Alli Smith said…
I've never been to the museum but I have been to his Blues Club in Orlando. They have great southern food and of course, great music. I'd love to visit the museum.
candy said…
We have never been to the BB King museum probably because we have never visited that part of the country. Wonderful to take a day trip and see what is going on around you. Great looking museum and food.
melissa chapman said…
It is great to get the back story and details on the life of one of our greatest artists. It is so nice to have this ongoing tribute to the man.
joannabri said…
I'm not a fan of that type of music, but my parents were born in the early 40's, so I've listened to my fair share of BB King, and Fats Domino. My mother would have loved to have visited that museum.
Cassie Marie said…
I’m definitely adding this to my bucket travel list!
This looks like a good way to spend a weekend. I also like the prices for the food ) Thanks for the idea.
Anosa Malanga said…
Never heard of this before and I find it interesting. I think, if given the chance to be able to go near the place, I will consider going and see this museum too.
I'm always looking for more places to add onto my road trip list - this is great! And thanks for the insider tip on the BBQ place - that sounds delicious!
Ally said…
The BBQ place yum, the prices look awesome too! This museum looks great, I love blues music - I'd be so interested in all of the history there!
Alice Megan said…
I'd never heard of this place but it looks fascinating
And the food sounds yummy too
Brandy Ellen said…
That would be so cool to visit the BB King museum. I love that you can visit places like this. I am going to see if we can venture that way!
Kita Bryant said…
I would love to check this museum out. It reminds me of the music from when I was younger.
Unknown said…
My husband loves visiting places like this. If we get that way someday we are going to go.
Cathleen said…
I love museums! I have got to admit, I didn't know who BB King was, so I probably wouldn't have gone to the museum. But that restaurant looks really good!
Never knew about the museum. Sounds like a really great experience. Thanks for sharing this and the photos. You learn something new every day.
Ali Rost said…
I love going to museums especially since there's always so much to learn. I think this one's really nice. I like the place that you dined at as well.
Brittany said…
I like B B King. This looks like a great museum. Thanks for sharing your experience
Melissa said…
Wow! I would love to see this in person. I really enjoy things like this and music history is my favorite! So cool, we have to do this now!
reesa said…
What a great museum! I know a few people who would love to visit! and the restaurant looked delicious!
I didn't even know this place existed. I love stopping at Museums like this. So much history!
Never been to that region of the US. Matter of fact, never heard of the museum, but most definitely have heard of BB King; very happy he has a museum about him, very deserving. BB2U
We had no idea this was a place! Thanks for sharing, we will add it to our list of places to travel!
Vyjay Rao said…
What a fitting museum to a musical genius. It is fascinating to see the cotton Gin turned into a museum. It is indeed a hallowed place for music lovers.
Unknown said…
Sounds like something to put on my list of places to stop by if we are at that neck of the woods. I love these types of sites.
whatsupdearie said…
I've never been there, but I'd enjoy attending the museum.
Rika said…
I love going to Museums! This one looks so cool and I want to try that soul food restaurant.
Sondra Barker said…
Wow what an interesting place! I'd love to visit one day.
xo, Sondra
Cusineandtravel.com
Melanie said…
We are big music family so being able to celebrate a legend like BB King would be appreciated by us all. It looks like a great collection and a nice tribute to his talent.
Escapewriters said…
You must be a great music lover.. Love to see this museum in near future.. And surely going to listen some old songs of BB King
Unknown said…
This sounds like a cool place tovisit with so much history. Where I live, we call them Arnold Palmer's as well.
Unknown said…
I love going to museums! I don't know much about BB King, but I still think it would be neat seeing all of the paraphernalia. It's really cool how they are using a building from his childhood, too. I think it makes the museum that much more authentic!
What a beautiful memorial to BB King! I love that there is still food nearby along with great music -truly sacred grounds. 👍🏼
Unknown said…
I didn’t even realize there was a museum that celebrates B.B. King! Tha sounds like a great place to visit.
Angela Ricardo said…
I love checking out museums and places that are historical. We get to learn and grow that way. Thank you for sharing this to us. I would love to visit.

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta