Skip to main content

Celebrating the Legacy of Dr. King and Our Visit to the King Center

Atlanta is one of my favorite cities. It has a rich history and is a mecca for foodies, art lovers, musicians and more. During a recent visit to Atlanta with my sister, we decided to take the kids to visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Center. The King Center is a National Historic Site and home to several sites associated with Dr. King including his birth home, his childhood church and the crypts of both he and his wife, Coretta Scott King.
January 15, 2018 marks what would have been the 89th birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. As a kid, I remember reciting lines of his infamous “I Have a Dream” speech and learning of his commitment to the Civil Rights Movement. 
We stayed at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis during our visit to Atlanta and OMG! what a wonderful place to get some rest before exploring the sites of the King Center. The staff of the Atlanta Marriott Marquis was very attentive and knowledgeable about the area and nearby places of interest. 
A couple of notes about the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, several scenes from the Hunger Games – Mockingjay were shot at the 4-star hotel, it houses several restaurants, shopping  and is less than a mile from the King Center.  Less than a mile!  Yes, we could’ve walked to The King Center if we wanted to but it was chilly so we drove and it took us all of 5 minutes from the hotel parking garage to the parking lot at the King Center.
The parking lot is huge and has plenty of free parking for cars and buses. Once you cross on the grounds of the National Historic Site look down at the path of footprints emblazoned with the names of notable leaders and celebrities which lead to the Welcome Center. 
At the end of the path is a statue of Gandhi.  The massive bronze sculpture is a wonderful tribute to a person Dr. King greatly admired.  Dr. King acknowledged Gandhi as an inspiration in several speeches including his 1964 Nobel Peace Prize Lecture.
Although King and Gandhi never met, King cites Ghandi as being one of his biggest inspirations.
Inside the center there are lots of interactive exhibits, a theater and documents chronicling the life of Dr. King.  From the small cell where he penned the Birmingham letters to the horse drawn carriage that carried One of our favorites was the Freedom Road Exhibit.  
Look directly towards the window of the Freedom Road exhibit, past the garden and you can see the tombs of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife, Coretta Scott King and the eternal flame.  
The crypts of Dr. King and his beloved wife, Coretta Scott, lie in two large marble slabs centered in the reflecting pool. Dr. King's tomb has the words "Free At Last, Free At Last, Thank God Almighty I'm Free at Last" and is encircled by the Chapel of All Faiths.  During our visit the walkway of the Chapel of All Faiths was blocked off as the King Center prepares for the upcoming 50 anniversary of the assassination of Dr. King. 

A few steps from the resting place of Dr. and Mrs. King is Ebenezer Baptist Church, the church Dr. King attended as a child and the church where he began his pastoral ministry.  The church has such a rich history and there's something soul stirring about sitting in the pews of this historic church.

There's a plaque on the wall recognizing the 75th anniversary of the church.  The names of Dr. King and his father, the former pastor of the church, among others are inscribed on the plaque.  
Be sure to visit Three Boys and an Old Lady on Instagram to view more pics of our visit to Ebenezer Baptist Church.

Touring the King Center is great exercise for the mind, body and spirit.  

If you're ever in Atlanta, make a pit stop at the King Center.
Have you ever visited the King Center?  

Comments

candy said…
We have never been to Atlanta so of course haven't visited the King Center. Enjoyed seeing all your photos and reading about what you saw and enjoyed.
Masshole Mommy said…
I've never been to Atlanta, but will add this to my list of places to visit if I ever make it down that way!
Alli Smith said…
I have visited the King Center! I'm from GA and have been several times. It's been a while and I'd love to go back and revisit.
Kelly Reci said…
Atlanta is definitely a place to visit. There's always so much to do - great to see you having a good time on your trip!
I've never been to Atlanta and have always wanted to go. This sounds like it's a must see stop for people traveling in the area.
I've been to Atlanta, but never to the King Center, and I have to make sure to get down there with my family soon. It's been high on my list since it was constructed, and I want this year to be the year that we visit!
AiringMyLaundry said…
I would love to see this one day. My daughter would too. I need to go to Atlanta one day! I've only been in the airport.
Anonymous said…
I have never been to the King Center but it looks like a wonderful destination. I know my husband and kids would enjoy checking out this place in person!
Pam said…
I live two hours from Atlanta but have never been to the King Center. I need to make a trip down there.
Jenn said…
I have never been to Atlanta. This is a very interesting post, I would love to see this in-person.
Emily said…
This would be such an amazing place to visit, somewhere I definitely want to take my kids. I volunteered in my son's classroom today and there was some great conversations that the teacher brought up with the kids about Martin Luther King Jr. and what he was fighting for. It was special to hear what these little ones had to say about it. Important conversations to always have with the next generation.
We visit Atlanta a lot but never been there. Last summer we went to the Loraine Motel in Memphis.
joannabri said…
We homeschool, and I would love to go for a field trip one day! This is such a huge part of our American history!
sandy n vyjay said…
The King Centre is really fascinating. Martin Luther King is one of the most inspiring personalities of the century. It is nice to see Mahatma Gandhi's statue at the center.
Debra Hawkins said…
I would love to take my kids here! They never seem to be with us when we make trips to Atlanta! Time to take them.
Fatima D Torres said…
I would LOVE to visit the King Center, but it's all the way in Atlanta. We've decided to limit our traveling for about a year until we have our baby and she's strong enough to travel.
Hey It's Jilly said…
I went to Atlanta for Six Flags once. I wish I would have explored the city more. I lived in Nashville at the time and we just drove down for the day.
ricci said…
I LOVE Atlanta! I havne't been in a few years and I need to plan another trip soon. I will definitely have to put these places on my list of places/things to see!!
Anosa Malanga said…
I must confess, this is my first time to learn about the King Center. Well, I guess not too late for me to visit it. Thanks I was able to learn more about it through this post.

Popular posts from this blog

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta