Skip to main content

How to Thaw Your Thanksgiving Turkey

I am a #NSNation Blogger and I received Nutrisystem in exchange for this review. The opinions expressed are 100% mine.
We are just days away from Thanksgiving dinner. You’ve made your list. You’ve cleared the fridge. You’ve gone shopping and you’ve found the perfect Thanksgiving turkey.
Chances are the turkey you chose is nothing more than a huge frozen bowling ball and have no doubt it will take days for this monstrosity to thaw.

There are several ways to thaw your turkey so it will be ready to cook on Thanksgiving day. The most common methods to thaw a turkey are the Refrigerator Method (the method I use) or the Cold Water Method.  Both are safe methods of thawing a turkey.


Refrigerator Method

Clear enough space in your fridge for your turkey.

Place the turkey in a large pan. Do NOT remove the turkey from its packaging.


Butterball recommends thawing the turkey in the fridge 1 day for every 4 lbs. and thawed turkey can be left in the fridge for a couple of days.


If it’s crunch time and you need to quickly thaw a turkey, then you may want to use the Cold Water Method.


Cold Water Method
Submerge the turkey in cold water and change the water every 30 minutes. The USDA recommends you cook the turkey immediately after it is thawed if you use this method.

With Nutrisystem I don't have to wait for Thanksgiving to enjoy a delicious turkey dinner.  The Nutristisystem Roasted Turkey Medallions dinner is one of my favorite Nutrisystem entrees.  
This entree is low in fat and high in protein and keeps me on track with my weight loss goals. It's full of thick cut pieces of turkey piled on top of creamy mashed potatoes overflowing with a delicious turkey gravy.  Is your mouth watering yet?
I'm still on track to lose 50 lbs. by December.  I am determined to lose the weight and keep it off and Nutrisystem is helping me do so.  
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to stay on track during the holidays thanks to tips I found on the Nutrisystem website.

For more tips on thawing a turkey, check out these 12 Food Safety Tips You Must Know on The Leaf. 

Which method do you use to thaw your turkey?


Comments

Alli Smith said…
I always use the refrigerator method when thawing my turkey. Years ago, I had to use the cold water method when that bird refused to thaw out in the fridge. :)
candy said…
Most people do not thaw their turkey properly. I know some who just let it sit on the counter for days. Always scary. Wonderful tips on properly thawing out a turkey.
AiringMyLaundry said…
I always do the fridge method! It always seemed to work well. One year it was slightly frozen so I did have to use the cold weather method briefly.
Anonymous said…
I'm sure so many people needed to read this. There is a right way and a wrong way to thaw a turkey. Great points.
joannabri said…
I don't think a lot of people realize that there is actually a method to thawing a turkey, or any meat for that matter. Not thawing properly can result in food poisoning!
Tomi C said…
Thanks for the comments all! I think with all the reports of food poisoning people should take more thought into things each of us can do to protect our families.

Thanks for reading.
Lisa said…
We do a fridge thaw and it takes forever. Congrats on the weight loss. 50 pounds by December is awesome.
I usually defrost in the fridge. There have been one or two times it wasn't fully thawed in time so I had to convert to the cold water method.
Sarah Bailey said…
Hands up I wouldn't know where to start with defrosting a turkey but it is something I really need to get my head around so thank you for this - I will conquer it!
shabbyfufu said…
Thawing a turkey seems to be a struggle for me. The last few years I've been able to purchase it fresh from the grocery store and that's a big help!
Liz Mays said…
I'm not sure which method we'll be using this year! The Nutrisystem Roasted Turkey Medallions meal does sound good!
Amanda said…
Thanks for the tips! I have only cooked a turkey a few times and always thaw in the refrigerator and then brine.
Anonymous said…
Who knew there are so many ways to thaw a turkey. We do the cold water method but now I might want to try a different way.
Frig works for me as I usually do 2 smaller turkeys no matter how many I feed. Deep fried and roasted.
chubskulit said…
I have been living here in the US for almost 13 years but I have yet to try making turkey. Thank you for this.
Unknown said…
These are all fantastic tips. It is so important to follow safety guidelines when dealing with meat.
Kita Bryant said…
I usually make room in my fridge and set it up in there. Much easier and I always remember to make room in my fridge for the holidays anyways.
sandy n vyjay said…
These are really some useful methods. I think that the refrigerator method is more apt for this, though the cold water one can also be good based on the requirements.
ricci said…
I've never made a turkey by myself before so I didn't know that thawing it out was such a big deal!! Good thing I'm not in charge of the meal!
Dogvills said…
The refrigerator method is what i do. I would not risk a salmonella infection with the cold water method. Better to be safe and enjoy a great dinner than to be sick!

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta