Skip to main content

Ways to Help Those Affected by Hurricane Harvey

My heart is heavy with news of the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey.  Prayers to the families in the affected areas and prayers to those helping the families in the affected areas. I am happy my Texas and Louisiana families are safe and able to volunteer to help those in need. I am praying for others waiting to hear from their beloved family members.

When disasters like this occur people are inclined to want to do something... something to help others. In these days of scams and mistrust, it may be difficult to find a charity you can trust.  However, there are charities and individuals committed to serving and several ways you can help.

Monetary donations are ALWAYS appreciated as money can be used in so many ways. Health and beauty supplies like toothpaste, deodorant, diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons are also appreciated.  I'm anemic and unable to donate blood but for those of you who can donate blood or plasma, the American Red Cross is always in need of blood.  

There are other ways you can help.  Our family wanted to do something when Hurricane Sandy hit and we decided to become a foster family to a dog who we named Sandy.  I remember when we went to the Humane Society for our training and to pick her up.  They didn't know much about her other than the fact that she was rescued from New Orleans.
We had Sandy for a couple of weeks and my friend, Monie, saw her and asked if Sandy was pregnant.  Of course she wasn't.  I mean the policy was never to house a pregnant dog in a home with children.  A week or so went by and I noticed it too.  OMG! She WAS pregnant.

I pleaded with the Humane Society to let us keep her as she had already been through so much and I didn't want to further traumatize her.  I remember the night she had the puppies.  I was on the phone with my friend, Donna, and Sandy was pacing back and forth in my kitchen.  

Then all of a sudden...
 PLOP... out came a puppy.
    I SCREAMED SOOOOOOOO... loud.  
PLOP... out came another puppy...
By this time my Husband ran to the kitchen to see what happened. 

When all was said and done, Sandy birthed 6 beautiful puppies. We prepared a place in the laundry room for her and her brood.  A couple of weeks later it was time to say "goodbye" to Sandy and her puppies.  They were placed in a home with a caregiver better equipped to handle 7 dogs.

And that's when we got Bosco.  My sister in law saw how miserably sad we were after losing Sandy that she gifted us with the cutest blue tick hound and he's been in our family ever since.

If you are looking for ways to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey there are plenty of ways to help.  Here are few ways you can text a monetary donation to some notable charities.
  • Text HARVEY to 90999 and a $10 donation will be made to the American Red Cross
  • Text UWFlood to 41444 to make a donation to the United Way of Greater Houston
  • Text STORM to 51555 to make a donation to the Salvation Army 
  • Text CCUSADISASTER to 71777 to donate via Catholic Charities USA
Again to those still waiting to hear from the loved ones in the affected areas, our prayers for their safety.  

Do you know of any other ways to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey?


Comments

candy said…
Our church has sent trucks and airplanes to help out with the hurricane victims. We always help in time of need.
AiringMyLaundry said…
Thank you for sharing this. I'm in San Antonio and I know all over the city there are places where you can donate things. I know some shelters also have animals from Hurricane Harvey that you can help take care of, so we might be doing that.
Jeannette said…
We have all sort of clothes we want to donate to the victims and we are researching how to get the clothes to them now. I hope that everyone gets involved and helps these people!
Unknown said…
It's a good moment for everybody to come together and help. These are good options for those that didn't know how they could help.
Anosa said…
Thank you for putting this together, as you said scams are everywhere these days and its hard to know whom to trust.
Prayers to those affected
beautypopstop said…
Wow, what an unexpected turn of events! It's so incredibly heartbreaking to see what's going on down in Houston. Our prayers are with those displaced and suffering :(
Miss Angie said…
Thank you for sharing this. They're going through so much down there and it's good of us to help as much as we can.
Anjanette Young said…
What a wonderful thing your family did and how exciting that must have been. It's been a while since we had brand new baby animals, they really touches the heart.
Pam said…
I know a lot of people are wondering how to help people that's have been affected by Harvey. Thanks for sharing.
We are donating money with the knights of columbus. Also dropping off supplies on Saturday.
Unknown said…
It's so important to help those in need when such devastation hits your area. I'm on the east coast, but my company put together both a monetary fund and a clothing drive to sent to Texas.
I am praying for all those affected by hurricane Harvey. It is so devastating, thinking of how much has been lost. Helping in any way one can is so important.
Claudia Krusch said…
It is so sad how much damage Hurricane Harvey has caused. These are great ways to help out.
Catvills said…
We have donated to the Red Cross, and we are now finding a way to donate diapers. Thanks for sharing information on how we can help even more.
Debra Hawkins said…
We have been donating through our church and I am so happy to see people out there helping! I wish I could be out there helpin in person!
Sandy N Vyjay said…
It is in moments like these that one can see the good in the world. People unite together and fact the situation boldly, helping each other.
Jen Lawrence said…
There are some local organizations in my area collecting items and monetary donations to send to TX. It's great that we are all coming together to assist in this situation.

Popular posts from this blog

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta