|This is a Sponsored Post|
Cooking? Before Nutrisystem I used lemons for heavy sauces like my homemade tasty lemon garlic butter sauce and sugary glazes in my lemon pound cake recipes.
Now that I'm on Nutrisystem, I'm exercising more, finding healthier ways to enjoy food and increasing my daily water intake. You would think drinking more water wouldn't be a challenge but honestly water bores me. OMG! I can't believe I just said that. There are millions of people who don't have access to drinking water and here I am whining. One of my tips to drinking more water is adding a slice or two of lemon.
Thanks to the bounty of fresh summer fruits and veggies at the Farmers Market, our pantry is full of lemons and the Three Boys and an Old Lady family are having to get a little creative so we can use up all these delicious lemons before they rot.
I reduced my salt intake by using squeezing some lemon juice instead of sprinkling salt over fresh veggies. Made some delicious lemon chicken in the crockpot the other day. I add a twist of lemon to an ice cold glass or water helps me drink more water and a few lemon slices and a low calories sweetener make some of the best lemonades you've ever tasted.
Our traditional family lemonade recipe is just three ingredients: water, lemons and sugar. We use a 1:1:3 ratio for my homemade lemonade.
1 c. lemon juice:1 c. sugar:3 c. water
LET'S MAKE SOME LEMONADE!
In a large pitcher, combine 1 cup of lemon juice - preferably hand squeezed sans seeds - and I cup of sugar.
Slowly add 3 cups water, one cup at a time.
You can serve immediately but this is a drink best served ice cold or over ice.
Since starting Nutrisystem in January, I have lost over 30 lbs. so far and am well on my way to hitting my weight loss goals. I am reducing my sugar intake and using recipes from The Leaf, the Nutrisystem website for recipes and tips.
I found a recipe for Healthier Lemonade on The Leaf. Like my recipe, it's just three ingredients but uses Stevia extract instead of sugar plus each ingredient counts as a "Free Food" so it's a guilt-free treat!
The recipe is simple just combine the juice of 3-4 lemons, 1 quart of purified water and 1/3 - 1/2 tsp. Stevia extract (to taste) and chill in fridge.
I promised 10 Tasty Lemonade Recipes. You've seen two: mine + the Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade. The remaining 8 recipes begin with Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade as a base. Enjoy!
3. Cherry Lemonade (simmer 2 cups of cherries, sugar and 1 cup water until cherries become syrup like. Drain juice into pitcher of Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade)
4. Blueberry Lemonade (add two cups of pureed blueberries to Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade)
|pic courtesy of Brigitte Tohm|
5. Mango Lemonade (add 1 pureed mango to Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade)
6. Strawberry Lemonade (add 2 cups pureed strawberries to Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade)
7. Mint Lemonade (steep 1/2 cup mint leaves in 1 cup water and add to Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade)
8. Arnold Palmer (stir in 1 cup freshly brewed tea to Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade))9. Hibiscus Lemonade (steep 1/4 cup hibiscus flowers in 1 cup water, strain and add to Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade)
10. Ginger Lemonade (steep 1/4 cup sliced ginger in 1 cup water, strain and add to Nutrisystem Healthier Lemonade)
Maybe next time I'll share recipes for my orangeade, blood orange and pomegranate lemonades.
'Til then, what are some of your favorite Summertime drinks?