Skip to main content

My Nutrisystem Journey Week 11 and a Super Easy Guacamole Recipe

What's on your menu today?

Mi?  Comiendo enchiladas de pollo con guacamole y salsa y ensalada. 

Translation:  I'm eating chicken enchiladas with guacamole, salsa and salad.

Since I've been on Nutrisystem I have been cooking a little healthier for my family.  Although my youngest isn't a fan of some of my concoctions, the rest of the family is really enjoying the change. 

The kids have really taken a liking to my sautéed kale, garlic and turkey bacon side dish.  My middle son is even trying his hand at sautéing dishes and helping me with grocery shopping.  We're learning how to make some of our favorites a little more healthy.  For example, brown rice for our Asian-inspired fried rice dish, whole grain pastas in our Italian dishes and less cheese and more whole black beans in our favorite Mexican dishes.  

Nutrisystem offers some delicious options for Asian, Italian and Spanish-inspired dishes.  One of my faves is the Nutrisystem Chicken Enchiladas.  I like to prepare it for me when I make my stacked enchilada casserole for my family.  Keeps the whole Mexican Food Night theme for the entire family to enjoy.  Plus, I serve a salad topped with a mango salsa and guacamole as a healthy side dish for the entire family.



I love avocados. Did you know avocados are packed with good fats and can help LOWER your cholesterol?  Yes, GOOD fat.  In fact, Nustrisystem lists avocados as 1 of the 10 Foods You Must Have in Your Diet.
pic courtesy of Nutrisystem
Avocados are a staple on our weekly grocery trip.  We enjoy them with a sprinkling of salt for a quick and easy tasty snack.  Or sliced and layered on top of a salad for a burst of flavor and color.  I'm not much on avocados on my sandwich but I do enjoy a BLT with a slice or two of avocado.

Of course, one of the first things that people think of when they think of avocados is GUACAMOLE.  Guacamole is a simple, healthy side dish that doubles as a tasty snack. 

I have friends who say they can't make guac but truth be told it's super easy.  

All you need is:

2 ripe avocados
1 tbsp of finely chopped onion
1 tbsp of finely chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon 
Salt to taste

1.  Slice avocado and gently spoon the flesh into a bowl
2.  Mash with a fork
3.  Stir in onion and cilantro
4.  Add juice of one lemon and a sprinkling of salt to your liking
5.  Serve

You can also up your daily veggie intake by adding in some diced chiles or tomatoes.

Avocados are one of my go to snacks.  What about you?  What are some of your go to HEALTHY snacks?

Week 11
lbs. lost this week: 1.5
Total lbs. Lost: 23



I'm proud to be a #NSNationBlogger. Click here to start your weight loss journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta