Skip to main content

My Kid Was Bullied and It's All MY Fault

My middle kid motioned for me to come into the building.  I couldn't imagine why.  He ran to the car saying "Mom, it's important.  Come here."  I quickly put on my shoes and raced inside to find my oldest son being consoled by a group of women and a group of young men being ushered out the building.

My son was calm and I could tell he wasn't physically injured.   Yet, I could see he was visibly shaken.

"What happened", I asked looking around.  

One of the ladies explained a group of boys had been taunting my son and he retaliated. Another lady explained some of the kids said he had asked them to stop but this one kept at it and my son finally turned around and punched him.  He had had enough.

I feel terrible because a few weeks earlier my kid told me he really didn't want to go back to this program.  He told me some of other kids were making jokes at some of the mentors and class leaders.  Some kids were calling them names saying "I wish this big, fat 'b' would shut the h*ll up", talking during the workshops, swearing and cursing.  I spoke with the program director and felt she understood my concerns.  I told my kid to ignore the other kids and just keep moving forward in the program.  A week or so later, my kid told me these kids were just rude and ornery towards some of the other kids.  He really wanted to quit the program and again I phoned the program director.  We had a nice discussion about the challenges of learning to work with different personalities.  Again, I talked to my kids and decided to stay in the program.

Teasing, taunting, provoking others to get a rise thinking they won't respond is cruel. Some say it's just kids being kids but I beg to differ.  The effects of bullying affect a person physically and mentally.  For some the effects result in suicide, injury and death. 

A "2014–2015 School Crime Supplement survey (National Center for Education Statistics and Bureau of Justice Statistics) indicated that, nationwide, about 21% of students ages 12-18 experienced bullying."  

https://www.stopbullying.gov/image-gallery/what-you-need-to-know-infographic.html
Courtesy of StopBullying.gov
Over and over my kids told me and over and over I listened but encouraged them to look past the actions of others.  In retrospect, that was so stupid of me. 

My kid did everything he was supposed to do.  He told me what was happening.  Reporting the incident to adults is the first thing kids can do to stop bullying.  

Teach your kids to
TELL
If no one knows you are being bullied then no one can help you.  So encourage your kids to a teacher, tell a counselor, tell someone if they are being bullied.  
                            LISTEN
Parents, teachers and community leaders, we need to listen and be proactive when bullying is reported.  I thought I was doing the right thing by talking to my kid about it and speaking with the program director but I should have done more.  Talking to the program director didn't quell the frustration that was building up in my kid nor did It do anything to keep the other kid from his rude behavior.  Teaching kids to look past the actions of others because that's the way of the world isn't the right thing to do. 
We must empower our children and teach them conflict management.  We must teach our kids to respect others.  We as adults must teach our kids to protect themselves.  

I am sorry my kid responded the way he did but I am proud he stood up for himself.  I hope this will be a lesson for both the kids.

For tips on how to prevent bullying and what we as parents should know about bullying, visit https://www.stopbullying.gov.

What about you? 

Has your child ever been bullied?  What did you do? 




Comments

Play bazaar said…
Be sure to saturate them with your pest-control solution, satta king satta Bazaar washing them carefully again before the next time you use them with food.
As was said before, you can never know it all. Business and learning, both evolve daily, in a type of synergy that never ends. You can always find helpful advice to move your business forward and your business will create new avenues that you should learn about. Take these ideas and make them work for your business and your success. Satta King Proven Network Marketing Strategies To Help You Play Bazaar

Popular posts from this blog

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta