Skip to main content

My Kid Went to Summer Camp and Came Home with a Cavity

I couldn't believe it when the dentist looked at me and told me that MY kid has a cavity. "Not my kid", I shrieked. Seriously, I shrieked. Clutching the pearls and shaking my head in total disbelief. I know a cavity isn't the end of the world but somehow a cavity invading my son's precious little teeth really struck a nerve with me. How did THIS happen? I mean we brush 3 times a day. We floss. Visit the dentist regularly. Limit sugary snacks. Drink fluoridated water. Avoid colas and sodas and opt for juice.

Juice.?! Juice? OMG…juice!!! Now that I think about it, juice is probably the culprit in my kid's case. I typically buy unsweetened fruit juices and avoid sugar-laden juices. I can't taste any difference and I imagine the kids can't either. I mean they never complained about it. Plus, this devout label reading mama noticed our regular apple juice contained nearly 30% SUGAR per 8 oz. serving and immediately switched to unsweetened juices. However, when my kid asked for fruit nectar to take with him to Summer Camp, I bought it without glancing at the label. Only recently when I read the label did I discover it had a whopping 42 grams of sugar per 8 oz. can.  That's over 13 teaspoons of sugar per can. Crazy huh?

Our dentist has reassured me all is not lost. Cavities are common and that's why good oral health is so important. My son is scheduled to get his filling today and our dentist reassured me this will help prevent further decay. It's a quick procedure and my son's tooth should be fine.

Our dentist also offered these few tidbits of advice:


1. Look for Hidden Sugars. Fruit drinks and even breast milk and formula contain sugar. This is one of the primary reasons it's so important to brush and floss between meals. Sugar causes tooth decay and sugar is everywhere. Read food and drink labels. Be wary of other names for sugar such as glucose, fructose and other names for hidden sugars.


2. Chewing SUGARLESS Gum is a Good Thing. Our dentist tells us that chewing a sugarless gum with Xylitol, like pur Gum. Chewing sugarless gum helps increase saliva flow which helps ward off those harmful tooth-decaying bacteria.



3. Start Early. Good dental health begins early. Babies' first dental visit should occur around age 1, if not sooner. Take care of those gums by wiping babies' gums with a damp washcloth after feeding to keep those harmful bacteria from growing.


4. Brush Your Teeth with Your Child. Children emulate what they see and if they see you brushing your teeth, they're sure to copy your good habits.


5. Watch for Signs of Tooth Decay. Most cavities are some huge gaping hole in your kid's teeth. Usually, cavities are invisible to the human eye and require a dentist diagnosis. Contact your dentist if your child has a toothache or you notice any visible hole in their teeth.


Take care of your teeth AND your kid's teeth also.


Have you ever had a cavity?  Has your kid?  Let me know, leave a comment below.


Disclosure: Many thanks to Pur for the opportunity to sample Pur Gum's latest flavors: Bubblegum and Chocolate Mint. The views expressed above are mine. We received product samples in exchange for this review. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this review. For more information on the Disclosure Policy of Three Boys and an Old Lady blog, please visit http://threeboysandanoldlady.blogspot.com/p/contact-us-media-kit-disclosure-policy.html

Comments

Harrison Buck said…
After living through a cavity prone childhood, I tried to make sure my son wouldn't do the same. But I made the same mistake, and assumed juice wouldn't cause cavities. He ended up getting his first cavity at age 6, but after switching to limited amounts of no sugar added juice and chewing sugar-free gum, no more problems!
mine az said…
I never had any cavities in my childhood, but had two cavities in my late 20s. It was because of my smoking habit frequent tea drinking with lots of sugar. Both instances of cavity were very painful. Fortunately, my brother introduced me to the services of dentist Manhattan Beach and they did a superb job in getting my teeth to good condition.

Popular posts from this blog

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta