Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning 101: Cleaning with Vinegar

Looking for an affordable way to add a little sparkle to your spring cleaning routine? Consider vinegar.  Vinegar is an affordable, easy to use product which can be used as an alternative to chemical-laden cleaning products.  




A bottle of vinegar typically lasts in the Three Boys and an Old Lady household for a long time.  I mean, besides dying eggs, homemade salad dressing, barbecue sauce and the occasional science experiments, I rarely use vinegar until I realized how many ways I can add vinegar to my bling up my Spring Cleaning routine.  

1.  Clean Your Microwave
        Equal parts vinegar and water are miracle workers for removing stuck on food from your microwave.  Simply pour 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.  Then just wipe clean.  Easy breezy and it works.

2.  Freshen the Dishwasher
        Pour a cup of vinegar into the dishwasher and run a load to freshen up the dishwasher.  The reaction is similar to that of cleaning your microwave.  The vinegar-y steam works wonders to remove caked on detergent and leaves your dishwasher shiny and fresh.

3.  Reduce Calcium Deposits on Your Shower Head
       Had to share this tip with the housekeeping staff during a recent hotel stay.  I could not believe the shower head was so filthy.  Sorry, no free breakfast wanted, can you pass the vinegar please.

Remove your shower head and place in a bowl.  Cover with vinegar and allow to stand about 30 minutes or so.  Remove the shower head.  Rinse.  Repeat until shower head is nice and calcium deposits are completely removed.  You can do this at bedtime and leave the shower head in the vinegar overnight to ensure all the calcium deposits are gone.  

4.  Get Rid of Mold 
        Looking for a surefire way to get rid of mold?  Vinegar really works.  Just pour some vinegar on your cleaning cloth and wipe the moldy area clean.  Let dry and wipe again.  Of course, bleach and ammonia can also be used to get rid of mold, but vinegar isn't as caustic.

5.  Shiny Faucets and Spigots
        Get a glorious shine on your water fixtures by wiping them down with a mixture of vinegar and salt.  Make a paste using a tablespoon or so of salt and add just enough vinegar to make a paste.  Wipe the faucet and tada.

Looking for more ways to use vinegar around your home, click here to check out my eBay Guide featuring more ways to use vinegar around your home.

These are my tried and true vinegar tips.  Have you ever used vinegar as a cleaner?  Have you ever tried cleaning vinegar?  Let me know, leave a comment below


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta