Skip to main content

Things to See & Do When Visiting Memphis

My brother-in-law called asking what the Three Boys and an Old Lady family had planned for the weekend. Ever since our first family vacation together last year, my sister and I vowed to vacation with our combined families at least once a year. Since I have a couple of trips scheduled for this year (BlogHer ’16, D.C. and a couple of college tours with Los Tres Amigos), I suggested we save a few bucks and vacay a little closer to home.

A couple of places came to mind. Dallas. San Antonio. Nashville. Memphis. After careful consideration, we opted for Memphis. Woohoo!

The Three Boys and an Old Lady family has visited Memphis dozens of times but this is the first time my sister and her family have gone and of course they know I’m the ultimate tour guide.

First thing that comes to mind when most think of Memphis is barbecue, rhythm and blues and all things Elvis. Funny thing, I polled a few friends and those were their exact responses. Yes, Memphis is home to some tasty BBQ, amazing music and yes, ALL things Elvis but there is so much more to this fabulous city that makes it a great place for families to visit.

Historic Eats
Memphis is home to tons of barbecue joints but there is much more to Memphis cuisine than barbecue.

The Arcade
The Arcade, the oldest restaurant in Memphis, is a great place for breakfast. Be forewarned, it’s a tourist-y place and so the wait is long. Lucky visitors can snag the infamous Elvis booth where the King sat and even order the King’s favorite fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Photo Credit:  Arcade
Dyer’s Burgers
Dyer’s Burgers is a the spot for a good ol’ greasy burger. Not just any hamburger greaser, but legend has it that the grease at Dyer’s is over a 100 years old. Dyer’s is located on historic Beale Street, which is the place to be for people watching, great food and great fun.

Gus’s Chicken
The South has fried chicken, Nashville has hot chicken, but Memphis is home to spicy fried chicken. No one and I mean no one does spicy fried chicken like Gus’s Fried Chicken. I’ve had Gus’s Fried Chicken at several locations but the Memphis location near the Lorraine Hotel is the place to go for the best spicy fried chicken ever. The recipe is guarded so don’t ask and the chicken is spicy, that’s it and that’s all. Legend has it that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. dined at Gus’s whenever he visited Memphis. Oh, Gus’s is just a few steps away from the historic National Civil Rights Museum located at the Lorraine Motel.
Photo Credit:  Sky Full of Bacon
Museums
National Civil Rights Museum
We stopped at the Lorraine Motel during our first few trips to Memphis never venturing inside the National Civil Rights Museum. Being the frugal mommy I was, I always thought the price was way too high and there were other “attractions” we could spend our money one. I am so glad that I opted for a family membership, which is good for a year’s worth of visits to the museum for our entire family + we get a few passes for our family and friends.

Stax Museum
We love to visit museums during our road trips and Stax Museum is a Three Boys and an Old Lady Favorite. Stax Museum celebrates the classic R and B sounds of Memphis and the artists who created this one of a kind sound. Familiar tunes envelope you once you enter the doors and you will find yourself watching others groove along to the music as you fight the urge to join in. You can boogie your way onto the dance floor.

Photo Credit:  Stax Museum - Wall of Sound
The iconic Wall of Sound is covered with cases containing original recordings of every single Stax recording. Be sure to check out Isaac Hayes’ Cadillac. It’s outta sight. *smile*

Slave Haven Underground Museum
Memphis is a wonderful place for American history buffs like myself.  The Slave Haven Underground Museum is said to have been a stop along the Underground Railroad for runaway slaves.  The house is full of artifacts and the kids will have quite an adventure exploring the trap doors and secret passages throughout the house.  The tour guides engage visitors with stories and songs of this difficult era.  The museum is just a few blocks from the hustle and bustle of Beale Street.


Photo Credit:  Slave Haven Underground Museum

Parks
W.C. Handy Pavillion and Park
While on Beale Street, stroll down to W.C. Handy Park. Handy Park pays homage to the legendary, “Father of the Blues” W.C. Handy and is a great place to catch up and coming artists. No concert? No worries, there are usually a few street vendors and always a snow cone vendor nearby. The park is minutes away from the W.C. Handy Home and Museum.
Shelby Farms

Speaking of parks, one of the best kept secrets in Memphis is Shelby Farms Park. Shelby Farms is 4,500 acre of AWESOME! Visitors can rent bikes, canoes, enjoy a game of Frisbee golf, Lasertag or paintball or ride horses BUT wait there’s more. You can zipline through the trees courtesy of the Go Ape Treetop Adventure . At around $60, the Go Ape Treetop Adventure is a little pricey but it is so much fun. While there be sure to check out the herd of buffalo who roam free on the grounds of Shelby Farms. It’s an amazing sight to see. Shelby Farms is also home to one of the coolest playgrounds in the world.

I-40 Welcome Center
The I-40 Welcome Center is a must see when visiting Memphis. Unlike other “tourist-y” attractions, the Welcome Center is open 7 days a week and open late. It’s a Welcome Center so you can pick up pamphlets of things to see and do around Memphis and throughout Tennessee. The Welcome Center is full of Elvis and B B King memorabilia and the accompanying grounds offer many photo opps. Plus, it’s FREE!

You can walk across to nearby Mud Island on the Skybridge or ride the monorail for a few bucks. Mud Island is a Memphis treasure and a great place to explore the rich history of the region. You can visit the Mississippi River Museum, rent bikes, canoes and even catch a concert at the Mud Island Amphitheatre.

Memphis is a great place to visit and there are tons of affordable, family-friendly things to see and do and I am so looking forward to sharing our favorite things to see and do with my sister and her family.

Have you ever visited Memphis? 
What are some of your fave spots? 

Comments

Alli Smith said…
I didn't realize there was so much to do in Memphis! I've been through Memphis many times on road trips but I've never stopped to visit the museums. I need to visit and try all that great food too!
candy said…
We just returned from Nashville few weeks ago. We didn't make it over to Memphis. Going to have to plan a trip there with all the things you listed to go and do.
shabbyfufu said…
One of these days we plan on taking a southern summer road trip. I hadn't thought of Memphis, but if we do go these look interesting.
AiringMyLaundry said…
I would LOVE to go to Memphis one day. I know there is lots to see and do there. I personally would love to try out the foods! ;)
SimplyTasheena said…
I’ve always wanted to visit Memphis. Thanks for sharing this great list of resources to check out. The food looks delicious. So many great places to see in Memphis.
I've never been to Memphis, or anywhere in Tennessee. I've heard it's an interesting city to see with lots of history.
Jeanette said…
Our family absolutely loves to travel. I love post like this because it gives me ideas of where to go. I will be pinning this and when we go down to Tennessee this will definitely be one of the cities we stop at.
Our family enjoys traveling, but we have never been to Memphis. We will definitely have to go one of these years. I enjoyed reading your highlights. They look like fantastic stops!
I need to visit Memphis with my family! These looks like some great places to visit and yummy food. Thanks for sharing!
Anonymous said…
I haven't been to Memphis before, but my friends went a couple years ago. They saw the duck's march in the hotel and I think that is one fo the cutest things!
Angela Ricardo said…
We have never been to Memphis but we look forward to visiting. We love learning about history and want to enrichen our knowledge. Especially the museum. Can't wait to tell hubby about this post.
Unknown said…
I have never been to Memphis but the way you talk about it, it seems like it's a foodie's paradise and I totally love that! Gus' Chicken seems absolutely delicious!
Anosa Malanga said…
I have never been to Memphis yet but of course it's on my list. I would love to see this awesome place too. Glad I came over this post, will definitely bookmark this for my future travel.
Chubskulit Rose said…
I am interested to see the underground railroad museum. We are going to TN this year, I can't wait.
Jess said…
I went to Memphis when I was a kid but never as an adult. I'll have to venture over and check it out!
Glenda Cates said…
Visiting Memphis is one of my dreams as I would like to see Graceland just once. Although neither my son or husband is to crazy about visiting it with the. So it just may remain on my Bucket List.
reesa said…
I just had a friend come back from Memphis and it looked so awesome! I would love to visit one day!

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta