Skip to main content

5 Tips for Choosing a Daily Devotional for Kids

A reader responded to one of my reviews of a daily devotional asking if I could recommend any good devotionals for younger readers. I’m happy to oblige as there are so many wonderful devotionals for younger readers.

I love daily devotionals.  Devotionals are a great way to encourage children to read daily. Whether you choose a devotional beginning with “Day 1” or “January 1”, you have 365 days of reading material. #LearningWinning

With so many devotionals to choose from it can be difficult narrowing it down to the “perfect” one for your child so here are 5 tips to help find the right devotional for your little one.



  1. Choose a devotional that fits your child’s interests. With so many types of daily devotionals to choose from, it’s important to find one that fits your child’s interests. If your child likes rainbows, check out devotionals featuring rainbows throughout. If your child like cars, look for a devotional with cars on the cover. Readers are often drawn to the artwork featured on the cover of a devotional. If you can, let your child choose a devotional of their very own. Kids love choosing their own books and doing so fosters a desire to read more.
  2. Choose a translation that fits your child‘s reading level. If your child is able to read, encourage the child to read the devotional aloud. Reading aloud helps increase vocabulary and develops contextual reading skills. Be sure to check out various translations to find one that’s right for your kid. I like the ICV (International Children’s Bible) and Amplified Bible translations. These translations are easy to read and understand. Author Sarah Young using the Amplified Bible translation in her Jesus Today Devotions for Kids book. Jesus Today Devotions for Kids is targeted for readers ages 6-10 and uses small words to help children understand big concepts. Make this a family activity by inviting everyone in the family to take part in the daily reading.
  3. Establish a routine. Schedule a time to read the daily devotion with your child and stick to it as often as you can. Incorporate the daily devotional reading into your family’s daily routine. Start your morning with breakfast, prayer and a devotional reading. Or end the school day with a snack, prayer and a devotional reading. Better yet, ward off bad dreams with a devotional before your child falls asleep.
  4. Read a couple of pages and discuss the reading with your child. Most devotionals feature a scripture coupled with a 2-3 paragraph reflection to amplify the scriptural reference. When choosing a devotional for kids, read a couple of pages with your child and then ask them what they thought of the reading. Day 136 of Jesus Today Devotions for Kids was titled Choosing What to Do. The devotion for that day was very apropos for us as we were signing up for Spring activities and couldn’t decide on soccer, tee-ball or tennis. The devotion for that day was very inspirational encouraging us to “say a prayer” and the Lord will guide us to the right choice.
  5. Share the devotional with others. Encourage your child to bring their devotional to worship services to share with others. Our youth Sunday School teacher enjoys sharing the Little Old Lady’s daily devotional readings with the Sunday School Class.
Here are a few of our favorite devotionals for children *not ranked in any particular order*
  • Jesus Today Devotions for Kids by Sarah Young. I love this one because I was a fan of Young’s Jesus Calling and Jesus Today books. Young has mastered daily devotionals and her writings are thoughtful meditations which draw us nearer.  Check out this YouTube video on this fab read:
  • Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions for Kids by Sarah Young. Another Sarah Young devotional. This is one of her earlier books and an awesome choice for new readers.
  • 365 Devotions for Girls by B and H Kids is features quick 3-5 minute readings on topics relative to girls ages 6 to 10. The devotional ties scripture into those common issues our daughters face daily.
  • 365 Devotions for Boys by B and H Kids is the boys’ version of 365 Devotions for Girls and focuses on topics affecting our sons. Both books are easy to read and relevant to issues our children face.
  • Bible Devotions for Bedtime by Daniel Partner. This is the follow up to Partner’s 365 Read Aloud Bedtime Bible Stories and a favorite in the Three Boys and an Old Lady household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta