Skip to main content

She's the FIRST In Her Family to Go to College

As I waited in the lobby to pick up my kids, I overheard a teenager whining to her mom "I need a 19".  "That's not good enough."  "Maaaahhhhhhmmmm... it's good enough.  It's not like a school grade"  

"How a 19 gonna get you into college?  Do you have all the paperwork?" the mom asked fumbling through a huge stack of papers.  

"Yes" replied the teen bluntly.

"A" tap
"C" tap
"T" tap tap tap.

"Ooh this too much" said the mom.

I smiled.  Someone's going to college.  I leaned in slightly listening deeper to their conversation.  The mother daughter bickering continued for a few minutes until the mom rose from her chair completely frustrated with her daughter.  The daughter let out a huge sigh.  

"Are you okay" I asked.
"Yes ma'am."  She said softly looking down at her laptop.

Her mom returned and sat down between us.  "Ooh this is so frustrating" she said looking my way.  "Pardon"

"All this college stuff.  My daughter is going to college and there is so much paperwork."  

"Oh, I remember those days" I said.

"I ain't never been to college and she don't have all her stuff and ooh this is so confusing."

I looked at her daughter and asked what college she was attending and she shared.  She also said she had received a basketball scholarship to a local community college.  Her mom beamed.  "She's the first in our family to go and we are so proud of her" said her mom.  Her daughter smiled.  "Congratulations" I said thinking of how proud her mom must be. 

For some of us it's difficult to fathom in this day and age some kids are making waves as the first in their family to go college but it's true.  Many parents are unaware of resources to help guide them through the college application process.  However, unlike days of old there are tons of resources to help navigate the process and many are just a click or phone call away.  

  • First and foremost, speak with a counselor at your child's school to make sure your child has met the required courses for graduation.   
  • Secondly, encourage your child to take an ACT or SAT prep course.  Many communities offer free prep courses.  Google "SAT prep training course free" or "ACT prep training course free" to locate programs in your area.  Some programs require students to participate in a course over a few weeks and include sample exams to help students prepare for the actual exam.
  • Apply early and adhere to deadlines.  Be aware of application deadlines for semester, financial aid and scholarships.  A late application can be the difference between attending the college of your choice or having to sit out a semester.
  • Read the application thoroughly.  If you have any questions regarding the application process contact the college Admissions office.  Questions about financial aid, contact the Financial Aid office.  
The mom really appreciated me sharing these tips with her.  We were able to find a local rec center offering free ACT courses and get her daughter enrolled.  Her daughter showed her mom the campus website and I watched as the mom saw for the first time a picture of the campus her daughter would soon call "home".  Tears welled up in her mom's eyes.  I could see how proud she was of her kid treading where no one in her family has gone.  I wished both good luck and hugged both mother and daughter saying "I'm so proud of you.  Enjoy your college experience" as my kids entered the room signaling it was time for us to go.  My eyes welled up thinking days like this will soon be gone.  They grow up way too fast.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta