Skip to main content

Let's Celebrate National Bean Day Without the Gas

Today is National Bean Day!  Really, it is.  I could celebrate the day than with some great recipes featuring the fab legumes, but I chose to celebrate it by sharing some tips for avoiding gas while eating beans.  Yes, I said it.  GAS!  

Check out these sure fire tips for reducing gas in beloved legumes.  Enjoy and share!  
Photo courtesy of 123rf.com
During the fall and winter months, I love making soups and chilis filled with beans.  Beans are an inexpensive way to make my soups and chilis healthier and more filling.  Beans are healthy source of protein and recognized as one of the 5 food groups on the USDA Food Pyramid.  Beans are inexpensive, easy to prepare and with so many legumes to choose from you could try a new variety every single day and not have the same bean twice for a few years.  



As promised, here are some tried and true tips for decreasing gas in your bean recipes.  

  1. Rinse 'em.  Beans should always be rinsed before preparing.  A quick rinse will not only reduce gas but will wash away dirt and sediment often found in dry beans.  Even if you use canned beans, you should rinse them as well.  Seriously, open a can of beans and you'll probably see a foamy substance escape from the can.  That form is full of gas producing sugars and rinsing really helps wash away those sugars without changing the flavor.
  2. Soak 'em.  After you rinse the beans thoroughly, be sure to soak them.  Some beans will do fine with a quick soak of a couple of hours, while others may require an overnight soak to remove those gas producing sugars.  Yes, it's actually the sugars in beans that cause gas.  
  3. Boil 'em, drain 'em and boil 'em again.  After your beans come to a boil, drain the boiling water and then bring them to a boil again.  You should see a foamy substance develop as your beans begin to boil.  This foam actually contains some of the gas causing sugars and by removing it you cut down on the gas.
  4. Cook 'em long and slow.  Beans that cook long and slow are able to break down those gas producing sugars therefore reducing gas
  5. Do NOT salt your beans while cooking.  I don't know what it is about beans and salt that seems to increase gas but there's clearly something about mixing sodium with your beans that really doesn't do the tummy well.  Seriously, adding seasonings without salt lessen the gas.  This is a great way to experiment with some of those other spices in your pantry and release the unique flavors of each legume.
Hope these tried and true tips will help you eat more beans and reduce the gas.  Enjoy and Happy National Bean Day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta