Skip to main content

The Heart of the Home and a review of Bri McKoy's Come and Eat

I've heard it said that the kitchen is the heart of the house and I couldn't agree more.  I have so many memories of standing in the kitchen while my mom was preparing dinner and chatting about the happenings of the day.  Or sipping coffee with my grandma in her Kentucky home.  She had one of those peculator coffee pots and one of those ceramic cow shaped creamer bowls on her dining room set.  Our dinner table holds so many memories.

Author Bri McKoy shares in her book Come and Eat the power of the table.  Her writings reminds me of the song, At the Table by Richard Smallwood.  Smallwood writes whatever you are seeking is at the table where the feast of the Lord is going on.  Think about it.  There's peace at the table.  There's hope.  There's joy.  There's pain.  Everything is at the table.

12 chapters and 12 interesting perspectives on how the table shapes relationships.  Overall a great read that warms the heart and soul and gives charge to readers to realize the symbolism and spirituality of congregating at the table.

Book Description

Bri McKoy, of the blog Our Savory Life, celebrates the power of the everyday table and shows how, by regularly and intentionally gathering around it, we can follow in the footsteps of Jesus and usher in grace, love, and deep fellowship.

Raised in the world of takeout and microwaveable meals, like so many busy women Bri McKoy found herself utterly lost in the kitchen and nowhere near using her dining room table as an inviting place of community. However, as she learned how to more intentionally invite not just others but also herself to her table every day, she noticed that the kitchen stopped feeling like a prison cell and started feeling like a sanctuary, that gathering with others around the table, like Jesus often did during his time on earth, had the power to usher in deep relationship and a fuller understanding of God’s love and grace.

In Come and Eat, Bri invites readers on an adventure of burnt pie, ten-pound bags of onions, and kitchen catastrophes to discover how to transform a common dining-room table into a vehicle that ushers in the presence of Jesus. It’s an invitation with no pressure, no strings attached, no advanced cooking skills or fancy accouterments necessary. Just a healthy appetite and a desire to take a deeper look into the power and ministry that can be found at the table. Combining biblical reflection with engaging personal stories from Bri’s own home, as well as the tables she has joined around the world, Come and Eat shows readers how they can intentionally make their own tables a vibrant source of life.

Grab your copy today wherever Thomas Nelson books are sold.
I review for BookLook Bloggers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta