Skip to main content

Why I STILL Celebrate Black History Month

February is the month of Groundhog Day, Lincoln's Birthday, Valentine's Day, President's Day, Mardi Gras, my birthday and oh February begins Black History Month, a month set aside to recognize the contributions of African Americans. 


One of my kids asked me why we still celebrated Black History Month, Asian History Month and National Hispanic Heritage Month.  "Mom", he said "it just seems like it separates people."  Poignant words from a kid but I knew exactly what he meant. 


He's right... but I celebrate Black History Month and the celebration of such brings as much joy as it does pain. 

*grabs mic*

I celebrate Black History Month because from the time I was in kindergarten until I was in the 8th grade, I was the only Black kid in my class. There weren't any profiles of Black inventors in my school books.  No mentions of the many contributions of people who skin was brown like mine.  

I celebrate Black History Month because I remember not understanding why that one kid pulled your pigtails and spit in your face and call you the "N" word.  Yeah, I was about 6 when that happened. 

I celebrate Black History Month because of that one lady who thought I was lost when my family and I were at Lake Nasworthy.  "Where's your mother little girl", she asked.  I turned and pointed to my mom who was a few feet away.  "No, that can't be your mom, she's White and you're Black."  Me, being about 6 or so saying "My mom is yellow, my dad is orange and I am brown".  I remember my mom racing towards me seeing a strange woman talking to me.

I celebrate Black History Month because they continue to post images via social media degrading the African American cultural experience. 

I celebrate Black History Month because he still doesn't understand why people would call for his resignation as he dresses up in blackface hold a sign saying "Black Lives Matter".

I celebrate Black History Month for every child who feels shame when they glance down at the their brown skin or feel the kinky texture of their wavy, curly hair.
 

I celebrate Black History Month because society didn't teach us to judge each other by the content of our character. 

I celebrate Black History Month, because I long for the day when we will no longer need a month to celebrate Women's History Month, Asian/ Pacific American Heritage, Caribbean American, Hispanic Heritage Month, American Indian Heritage Month.  I yearn for a day when we appreciate what makes us different rather than pass proclamations to remind us why.

*mic drop*





Comments

Play bazaar said…
This is said to have killed colonies of silverfish in a short satta king satta Bazaar amount of time.
Just like anything else in life, network marketing will become much easier with practice. The more you work on it, the more natural it will begin to feel. Eventually, the time that you pass working on this will feel like second nature, and you may even begin to enjoy the work you are doing. Satta King Proven Network Marketing Strategies To Help You Play Bazaar
Robin Adam said…
Wow!!
Informative post!! I like it very much and Thanks for sharing this post!!
Custom Vape Cartridge Boxes
Avery said…
Thank you for sharing this great blog. Your post is a useful contribution.
Meghan said…
Oh yeah, fabulous stuff there you are! plss write more like this, you're awesome
Dariel said…
Articles like this are an example of quick, helpful answers.
Finley said…
That insight's perfect for what I need. Thankyou for sharing!
Eliela said…
What an awesome way to explain this-now I know everything!

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta