Skip to main content

A Streetcar in New Orleans and Crossing the Mighty Mississippi

Our last travel excursion of 2015 took Three Boys and an Old Lady to one of my favorite cities, New Orleans. This was the first time I’d traveled there with the kids in tow and was excited to share with them some of my favorites haunts and what better place to being a trip to N.O. than with a visit to Canal Street.

The frugal mommy me booked a hotel in Kenner, a brief 10-minute drive to The Big Easy. Anyone who has ever stayed in the N.O. knows it’s difficult to find a hotel sans the exorbitant valet or self park fees. Our travel buddies opted to stay at the downtown Doubletree and Hyatt Regency locations and shelled out a whopping $35/night for parking. *drops mic * Moi, on the other hand, paid zilch, zero, nada but I did have to drive into the city every day but given our hotel was a 2-minute walk from Macy’s, Target, Dillards and a 5-minute drive from Walmart, I still deem my hotel as #WINNING!

With so many things to do and see when traveling with kids to New Orleans it can be daunting. However, it is definitely a trip they’ll remember for years to come. Our day began with a streetcar ride. “Streetcar”, not trolley. Yeah, I’m so San Fran Bay Area, I kept referring to the “streetcars” as trolleys. Oopsie. A couple of native New Orleanians corrected me. Los Tres Amigos and I with cousin in tow, boarded the Loyola streetcar bound for Canal Street.


The fare is $1.25 and we bought a transfer pass since we planned to ride a few streetcars to check out some fab sights. RTA (Regional Transit Authority) offers a $3 pass which gives you unlimited rides for the day. In hindsight, I wish we had purchased the $3 Jazzy Pass as the transfers have a 2-hour travel time limit. The streetcars were clean and are a fun way to explore New Orleans. There are lines which drop you off within walking distance of many of the tourist-y places such as the Audubon Zoological Gardens, City Park, Canal Place and the French Quarter.


Our first stop was the Algiers Ferry. $2 per person allows you to cross the Mighty Mississippi River. The day we boarded there was a light, misty rain which added a little mystique to our river ride. The kids raced out to the deck to watch the seagulls and pelicans hovering in the sky and the paddleboat crossing our path. I was glued to a young, soon-to-be wed couple snapping pics for the upcoming wedding. We were told there are some adorable cafes in Algiers Point but this day was all about New Orleans and we had a lot more things to see and do so we quickly exited the ferry at the Algiers Point station and re-entered for the return trip to the Big Easy.


Once we returned to the Canal St. ferry stop, we walked along the shoreline. My middle kid spotted a Pinkberry and there was no stopping him. I loathe stopping at places we have at home when traveling but he’s adorable and hey it’s Pinkberry so I let the kids indulge a little while I scoped out next destination. Fortunately for us, the Pinkberry on Canal Street sits at the corner of a very busy intersection and offers a great vantage point for people watching.


Canal Street is a great place to begin your exploration of New Orleans. Be sure to follow @3Boys_OldLady on Pinterest and Instagram for more peeks into our New Orleans excursion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta