Skip to main content

Finding Hope Amidst Tragedy



My heart has been heavy these past couple of weeks due to recent violence across the world and after a lot of consideration, I decided it was time to take this post out of "Draft" and share. 

As many of you know, I attended a blog conference in Orlando earlier this year.  I remember sitting near the hotel lobby and seeing a lady and a young man. As one of my favorite bloggers was being photographed, the lady inquired about the conference. I explained it was one of the largest social media gatherings in the world.

She asked where I was from?

I replied, asking her likewise.

She was from nearby Miami and her family was there for a wedding.  Her son was marrying his partner.

He nodded and joined our conversation sharing he lived in Orlando.

As mothers we shared how we worried about our kids. I shared thoughts of kids growing up and gearing up for college.  She, of the days since the shooting at Pulse Nightclub, sight  of the deadliest act of terrorism in the U.S. since 9/11.

Pulse was a hip nightclub and the night of the shooting she said she received a call and her heart dropped as she tried unsuccessfully to reach her son.

Her son chimed in saying he lost several friends that night but he wasn't there. He was at working, pulling a double at the hospital he worked at.  The same hospital where many of the victims were taken.
He shared the club is now a memorial and just a few minutes drive from the conference location.

I was compelled to visit.
I was looking over some pics and found this picture of what I wrote on the wall at the memorial during our visit.

The irony is about a year earlier, we visited the Oklahoma City National Memorial last year and I wrote the same exact words.  Love ALWAYS Wins
I make no secrets about the cruelties of the world with my children. However, it is my hope I have taught them to be tolerant of those with beliefs different than theirs. 
In my mind I envisioned this huge nightclub.  Yet, the building was small with a towering sign welcoming visitors.
The kids walked up to the sign and one of the twins began to read...
"Welcome to the future site of the permanent Pulse memorial honoring those affected on the morning of June 12, 2016..."  He read the vision and the mission and then said with authority "WE WILL NOT LET HATE WIN."
We walked around taking note of the small memorials left by family and friends of loved ones whose lives were lost that fateful evening.

There were others like us trying to grapple why and parents kneeled beside their little ones trying to answer their questions.  Me? I never try to explain to my kids why some  people choose not to love.  I try to teach them to have hope amidst the flood of tragedies they see on the news.
I teach my children there is power in hate and in love, but they should love because love ALWAYS wins.





Comments

candy said…
I don't understand the unnecessary violence that happens in our world today. Why does there have to division on race, where we live, our history. Start talking and caring and giving service instead.
Alli Smith said…
Love does always win! I just wish everyone acted in love towards their neighbor. I don't understand the increased violence and I pray constantly for our nation (and the world) and for people to stop the insanity of hate.
Jeannette said…
I will never understand the violence of somebody else especially when it comes to trying to force someone to believe something they don't. Do I agree with everything that somebody else believes, no, but I don't expect them to either. All I know is that I have been taught to love everybody.
Sarah Bailey said…
I can't understand these unnecessary acts of violence, why people think it is Ok to go out and harm another.
Unknown said…
Love conquers all. Truly sad to hear so many acts of violence taking place. Hopefully we start hearing happier stories more often.
Unknown said…
There is so much violence in the world today that I constantly wonder when did all of this happen? I feel like the older I get, the worse this world has become and I'm frightened for my children's futures.
Debra Hawkins said…
This makes me heart so heavy. I can't believe things like this are still happening. How is there so much hate is someone's heart that they would be willing to hurt someone else?
I always think positively about every situation - because I am truly hopeful for the world and the people that live in it. I don't think negatively because that would just make me a sad individual and being sad is not a good time.
Pam said…
I can't imagine having so much hate in your heart that you could kill another human being. Love does always win!
Unknown said…
I can barely handle thinking about hatred and tragedy let alone reading about it. Your article brought tears. It is a good thing to be reminded though of the suffering in this world.
This is beautifully written and I love that you are raising good humans!
Thank you! The world needs more parents like you!
Unknown said…
I remember this day just like I do September 11th. The hate in our great nation needs to come to an end.
Anosa said…
Just today in Barcelona another terror attack, I too don't undedhasnd the violence but violence on violence never wins so let's show love
Liz Mays said…
This is a sweet post. I'm glad people are starting to speak out against hate. Love is a powerful thing.
Claudia Krusch said…
It is incredibly sad all the violence that is happening in our world. Just today someone killed a bunch of people in Spain. I am glad they are building a permanent memorial at Pulse.
Marysa said…
There has been so much violence lately. I didn't know about the memorial, I'm glad to hear they are creating something to remember the victims. It feels like such a scary world.
Anonymous said…
I remember when Pulse tragedy was all over the news. That was such a horrible event. It's scary how much violence is in our world today.
chubskulit said…
Everyday, I worry about the safety of my family especially my kids. It is scary the world we live in nowadays, so much hatred. I am glad you put this into writing.
Adriana said…
I remember this - it was so awful. All of these attacks must stop, but until then, this is a great resource for those who are struggling and who have to deal with this.

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta