In the Three Boys and an Old Lady household we eat our share of potatoes. In fact, Hubby makes the best mashed potatoes and his steak fries are absolutely delicious. Moi? Well, I'm more of Casserole Diva, baked potato skins and homemade gnocchi. With three growing boys and a husband who workouts daily, potatoes are a great way to fill 'em up without going over our budget. Yes, potatoes are still one of the cheapest foods out there. If you were to think we eat nothing but pasta and potatoes, you'd be pretty accurate. I mean, I buy a 3- or 5-lb. bag of potatoes on average 1-2 times a month and my longtime blog readers know we buy a ton of pasta. Gnocchi is a potato-type pasta. It's easy to make and perfect for keeping pint-size kitchen helpers busy.
I found a couple of gnocchi recipes on http://www.potatogoodness.com/ but wanted to share a tried and true gnocchi recipe that a friend shared with me nearly 25 years ago. I love it because it's 3 simple ingredients that I always have on hand: potatoes, flour and an egg. Yep, that's it and that's all.
- Boil water (I use the water I used to boil potatoes)
- Smash potatoes into a large bowl
- Pour in flour and egg
- Mix thoroughly and roll into a ball
- Drop ball onto lightly floured surface and break into two smaller balls
- Roll each ball into a long cigar shape and cut into 1-inch piece
- Drop each piece into boiling water
- Gnocchi will float to top when it's done. Scoop and drain.
- Serve with your favorite pasta topping or sauce.
* * * G I V E A W A Y * * *One Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will win a gift pack containing:
. $20 VISA gift card
. Shopping list notepad
. Cell phone cleaning cloth
. Potato recipe ideas
. Microwave cooking basics for potatoes
. Potato coloring book
Disclosure: Many thanks to the U.S. Potato Board and the PR firm for sponsoring this giveaway. I received a prize pack in exchange for this post. The recipe and the views expressed above are mine. Well, the recipe is one a friend shared with me a long time ago. Opinions are my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. The opinions expressed above are mine. Click here for the Disclosure Policy of Three Boys and an Old Lady blog. The opinions expressed above are 100% my own. I received product in exchange for this review and post. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.