Skip to main content

Celebrate National Engineers Week and Go See Black Panther

Everyone is raving about Marvel's epic blockbuster, Black Panther, and rightfully so.  This movie is epic on so many levels.  There's so much about this movie I want to share with you.  After seeing the movie I sat back and thought of the movie release on the heels of National Engineers Week and February 22 being Introduce a Girl to Engineering.
No spoilers
Those familiar with the Black Panther saga know Suri as the teenage sister of T'Challa, the Black Panther.  I had no idea.  Fortunately, my sons are Marvel Masters and my eldest son gave me the rundown on Shuri calling her the "Tony Stark of Wakanda".  Shuri has mastered the power of the resources of her beloved country.
Shuri, Shuri, Shuri, were have you been all my life.  Oh, that's right Shuri didn't appear until 2005.  I headed to our local comic book store hoping to secure a copy of that coveted comic, but they were sold out. *kicks rocks*   

I loved math and science when I was a kid.  It's something I am proud to say all four of my kids inherited from their mom.  The kids excel in their Advanced Placement Trig, pre-Calculus and Calculus math courses and their AP Biology, Chemistry and Physics science courses.  

Why do Science, Technology, Engineering and Math matter?
Studies show girls who excel in STEM tend to earn more money and one report in Time magazine states "lower poverty levels and healthier families", not healthier girls but healthier families.  Healthier families = healthier communities... healthier communities = healthier nations... healthier nations = a much healthier world for all.  STEM matters.

Check out this clip of Shuri's engineering skills in action

Let's encourage our daughters, nieces and the girls in our lives to explore the sciences, experiment and let those creative vibes flow.

Marvel lovers we will get to see more of Shuri in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War but until then share the story of Shuri with a little girl in your life.  Better yet, take them to see Black Panther!

Have you seen the movie yet?  Do you plan to?  

Comments

Masshole Mommy said…
We are planning on seeing it this weekend. I am SO crazy excited for this movie and I already know it's going to exceed my expectations :)
Alli Smith said…
We haven't seen it yet but we do plan on seeing it soon. My son and his wife saw it this past weekend and they loved it.
AiringMyLaundry said…
So cool! We hope to see this movie soon. We keep hearing how wonderful it is. We tend to love Marvel movies!
Jeannette said…
I heard that this movie is very good. I cannot wait to take my family to see it. There's definitely a strong female presence and I really like that.
Ali Rost said…
Shuri is definitely an awesome example for the young girls to be more interested in STEM and engineering. I think it's a great movie as well. Loved every single moment.
Unknown said…
We haven't seen it yet. However, we've heard from people that have seen how good it is. Hoping to see it in the movies this weekend.
Lisa said…
I haven't seen it yet. We went to see it this weekend and every place we tried was sold out.
Laura Dove said…
I am hearing so much about this movie! I hadn't heard of it until lately but what a great movie and I love how strong the cast is!
Mimicutelips said…
I’ve seen the movie twice and Shuri was my favorite. I appreciate all the layers to her. We talk about STEM/STEAM a lot in our home. The Mister is an Engineer.
Amanda said…
We are going to see the Black Panther this weekend. I am looking forward to seeing a movie with strong female characters and a diverse cast. It is about time our super heroes reflected the amazing people in our communities.
Sara Welch said…
I think I might just do that! I have been wanting to see it anyway!
Carol Cassara said…
I love how women dominated in Black Panther and how they are shown as strong and intelligent characters! The movie definitely gives young girls figures to look up to!
chubskulit said…
I am sure my boys would love to see this in theatre. It's waiting game at a small town, it's always late here.
Terri Steffes said…
The hype is totally out there! I hadn't planned to see it but with all this excitement, I am wanting to get in on it! This weekend is open, so I may just go for it.
Bianca Dottin said…
We haven't seen the movie yet but are hoping to see it this weekend.
Terri Beavers said…
I took the grand daughters to the movies Friday but this wasn't playing here. I'll be watching for it. I've heard a lot of good things about this movie.
Saidah said…
We all went to see Black Panther for my birthday. It was such an African inspired movie and definitely something I would go see again.
I can’t wait to take some of my kiddos to see Black Panther. We haven’t made a date yet to go but we will get there! - Jeanine

Popular posts from this blog

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta