Skip to main content

Lessons My Commute WITH KIDS Has Taught Me!

It never fails, some time during my workday, I flashback to something one of my kids said during our morning commute and burst into laughter.  My morning commute is hilarious! Believe me when I tell you there are few things better than starting your morning with a carload of happy kids.   


I remember my morning commutes before kids and hunty they were the worst: crowded trains, foul stench and blank faces that winced when you sat down beside them.  Now that I'm a carpooling mama, my commutes are so much better:  less crowded, 'cept on those days when everyone crams into the 2nd row because no one wants to ride in the 3rd row, occasional farts and "oops, I forgot to put on deodorant" and smiling faces - yep, that pretty much sums up my commute.


Our morning commute is just about 15-20 minutes but it's quality time we have.  I always say "Have a great day" and "Be nice to your teachers" as each kids exits the vehicle.  Then one day my middle kid hit me with "You have a better one."  Made my day!  Just out of nowhere, "You have a better one."  Melted my heart.

Our evening commute gives us a few minutes to talk about how our day went.  I ask each kid how their day was.  I get the scoop on grades and the happenings of their day.  Funny how the ups and downs of my work day fade away as I listen to my kids talk about their day.   Occasionally, one of them will ask me about my day but it's so good to hear about the ups and downs of their day.  

Being a parent has taught me so much and it's moments like our commute in which I really see just how much they've grown.  Our time together has also taught me a few things.  Trust me my commute is so much better with kids than before.


1.  Patience
Before kids I confess I would honk, yell, shake fist and cut off drivers who pissed me off.  Now that I'm a mom, I occasionally honk my horn to show disgust at a fellow driver but the yelling at drivers who cannot hear me, shaking of fists and cutting off others has ceased.  Yeah, I get a little upset when another car cuts me off while my kids are in the car but I am a little more reserved in how I deal with it.  Well, 'cept for that one time when a chick didn't yield and almost hit my car.  I forgot one of the kids was in the car and yelled out my window "Hey lady, driving instructions" and then mumbled a few not so friendly things before I heard a whisper of "Mommy?".  Oops!  I totally forgot my kid was in the car.

2.  Morning radio is NOT for kids
Another HUGE thing I've learned during my commute with kids is most radio stations are not for kids.  I gave up on hopes of morning radio offering kid-friendly music shortly after Disney radio ceased in our area.  I tried a few stations but it never failed a song would air resulting in one of the kids asking "Mommy, what's this song about?"  or worse yet me praying the version being played is the "clean version".   Then there's hearing your kid sing along to a song leaving you wondering where in the world they heard the song from. 

Have you listened to morning radio lately?  OMG.?! From the recaps of The Bachelor and the Real Housewives, it's a constant reminder the programming is not for kids.  We tried listening to classical music in the morning but too mellow for the morning.  We need something upbeat.  Occasionally, we will tune into satellite radio but the advertisement to song ratio is 10:1.  What's a mom to do? Christian radio offers some respite thanks to artist like Hillsong.  The kids are really digging Hillsong Young and Free's latest CD release, . Then when they saw a video of Selena Gomez performing with Hillsong Young and Free, the track, "Nobody", has been a frequent song of choice during our morning commute.




3.  I've Got a "Mom Arm"

Lastly, my morning commute has taught me I have a "Mom Arm".  It takes a few years to develop the "Mom Arm".  It's a rite of passage for kids from the car seat to the front seat.  You know the "Mom Arm"?  The reflex of extending your right arm across your child's chests whenever they sit in the front seat.  I remember the first time my daughter rode in the front seat.  I was a wreck.  She was so excited.  Moi?  I was a nervous wreck.  Needless to say, my rides with kids in the front passenger seat are few.  I'm that mom you pull up beside, look over and see what appears to be a crazed woman talking to herself when in fact I'm talking to kids in the 2nd and 3rd row of my SUV.  Yep, that's me.  *points to self*

What's your morning commute like?  Do you carpool with the kids?  Do you take the train?  I'd love to share the latest release from Hillsong United Young and Free with you to brighten up your morning commute. 




* * * G I V E A W A Y ***
Win It: One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will win  a 
Hillsong United Young and Free "Youth Revival" CD of their very own.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maple and Brown Sugar Air Fryer Bacon

I've been raving about my Instant Pot but now I have a new favorite... the Air Fryer.   O M G This thing is amazing!  I don't know why I was so late to the Air Fryer craze but I am so glad I am finally onboard.   I've been talking about getting one and then after my aunt posted pics of her new air fryer, that was it off to Best Buy I went.   I wasn't sure how big of a unit I would need but I figured the 2.5 liter would suffice.  I chose the Chefman Express.  It was priced on the shelves for $85 but online for $75.99 and my local store matched the price AND I had my Swagbucks Best Buy QR code so I got 500 SBs + 2 SBs for every dollar spent so that's another 170 SBs.  So, after discounts, my air fryer ended up costing me less than the sale price.  Woohoo! There were some fancy ones on the shelves with digital display but after checking the reviews I figured since I don't fry much this model would suffice. When I think of fried foods, I think

Jeepers! It's January Hop

Happy New Year! What better way to kick off the new year than with a giveaway! I am so excited to join The Mommy Island, The Kids Did It and 90+ other fab blogs in the first big giveaway hop of 2018! Here’s your chance to start the new year off with a win. One lucky Three Boys and an Old Lady blog reader will receive a $15 Walmart eGift card. $10 may not seem like a lot but it’s enough to stock up on some last minute Christmas clearance gifts. Trust me. I bought a 6’ Christmas tree WITH lights, 2 animal massagers, 3 Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser, Christmas cards and wrapping paper less than $20 during an after Christmas Walmart shopping trip. I was searching for some cough syrup when my friend’s kid spotted the Jelly Belly BeanBoozled Jelly Beans Mystery Bean Dispenser on sale for 50 cents. What a steal! The regular price is $10 so to find them on sale for 50 cents was a deal. We cleared the shelves. A few rows down we spotted some anima

A Pit Stop at Sho Nuff Hot Tamales in Greenville, Mississippi

My cousin and I were driving along and our tummies were rumbling as we crossed the Mississippi state line on US-82.  We didn't really have any particular dish in mind for lunch but we started seeing signs saying "Hot Tamales". "Hot Tamales", my Philly cousin asked. "Yep", I replied nonchalantly.  "I remember reading something about hot tamales being a big thing here in the Delta."   We kept driving and finally decided we would have to try these famous Mississippi Delta hot tamales. Now to decide which one.  There were literally dozens of tamale spots.  We happened upon a restaurant called Sho-Nuff and decided it was the one. We parked and entered the large, delightfully decorated restaurant.  The wall was plastered with local and national awards in recognition of those hot tamales.   There was a sign touting Sho-Nuff as the winner of the local newspaper's favorite restaurant award and 3rd place winner in the annual  Delta Hot Ta